Chapter Twenty-Nine: Calista

The soldiers come first thing in the morning. They shove a tray of cold vegetable mush through a slot in the door and inform us our fates are being decided as they speak. We take the trays and sit down on either side of the cot.

It's slimy and tastes pretty much like the color green. I manage to choke it down, only gagging on the first bite. Gabriel doesn't seem to be having as much of a struggle.

"I lived off of cold canned vegetables for two years," he explains. "This is nothing."

I smile, a hint of a giggle escaping my lips.

"Hey, did I see a smile?" he teases.

I nod. "Shush," I mutter.

He giggles too, and for a second, it's almost like we're old friends, sharing a meal, rather than cellmates in a government prison.

We spent all night taking turns on the cot, so neither of us is really rested. I yawn, setting the tray on the ground by the door.

"What are we going to do?" I ask Gabe, although I know he doesn't know the answer either.

"Wait it out, I guess," he replies. "And when they come to get us, we find a way to make a run for it."

"Seems like about as good a plan as coming here in the first place," I remark. "I knew it was too dangerous..."

"Hey," he interrupts me, lifting my chin. "We were trying to save the world. Of course it was dangerous."

I nod, unconvinced.

We decide to take turns napping and catching up on the sleep we've already lost, since there isn't much else to do. I go first, settling into the hard, threadbare cot and wrapping myself in the thin blanket. It barely covers my body.

I wake up to a clank, as the cell door latch is opened. I stare wide-eyed at Gabe.

"What's happening?" I ask, but he just shakes his head in response. We sit perfectly still as the door swings open.

Outside are the two soldiers who brought us down yesterday. Both are armed, unfortunately, so we have no choice but to comply. They lead us down to the next door over and unlock it to reveal Orion and Genevieve curled up on the cot together.

I decide not to comment, but I can feel Gabe seething next to me. I brush my fingers against his and shake my head imperceptibly. He relaxes slightly, but I know it's not enough. When they've been woken up and brought out into the hall, the guards arrange us the way they did to bring us down.

"Where are you taking us?" Orion demands. A bold move, with a gun pointed at his back.

The soldiers smirk. "To hear your fate," they answer smugly.

We're marched back up to the General's office. When we arrive, there's already a gentleman there with him. A tall, thin fellow with green eyes and almost black hair. We're lined up before the General's desk.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," he begins. "After quite a bit of discussion with my most trusted advisor," he gestures to the man, "I have decided your fates." He stands, looming over us. "Since you're so eager to get to the surface, I've decided to grant your wish."

We're stunned into silence, unwilling to celebrate quite yet.

"You'll be conscripted into the scouts," he continues. "You'll be put into a squad and given orders, just like the rest of them, with one small difference." He pauses for dramatic effect, leaning over his desk. "You'll never be permitted to return to the Underland again."

The shock is evident on our faces this time, I'm sure.

"You'll be allowed to return to your home, just once," he says to Orion and me, "to gather your personal effects, and say your goodbyes. Then you'll be sent to the surface, where your days will be spent carrying out scouting missions, and your nights, I presume, will be spent attempting to survive outside the gates of Underland. You wanted to go to the surface? Now you can live there." He sits back down and waves us out of the office, silently declaring his ruling final.

We try to protest, but the guards silence us with their guns in our faces, almost eager to use them, just awaiting the General's approval. Alas, it is not given, and we are ushered out into the hall and off of the base. A soldier is assigned to escort us back home, and instructed to use lethal force should there be any failure to comply.

We trudge back to our house, guard in tow, unsure how we're going to explain this to our mother.

When we arrive, she's sitting at the table, lost and confused, with nothing to keep her hands busy, since there's no one there to make breakfast for. She jumps up as we come in the door, rushing to hug us.

"Oh, thank god," she gushes, "I was so worried about you. What the hell happened? Are you okay? Where were you?" She stops when she notices the soldier.

"It's alright, mom. Don't worry. We're fine," Orion assures her.

She doesn't take her eyes off the guard, who, suspiciously, has not left yet.

"Can I help you?" she asks, wrapping an arm around each of us.

"I'm here to ensure compliance," he responds robotically.

"Compliance with what, exactly?" she asks defensively.

Orion gently takes her by the arm and leads her to the couch. I follow, sitting down next to Ri on the large ottoman. "Mom, there's something we have to tell you," he starts.

She shifts nervously, pressing her palms together. "What's going on?"

"Well," I start, "We seem to have gotten into a bit of trouble..." I can't look her in the eye.

Orion takes over, gently taking her by the hand. "Mom, we've been conscripted."

She visibly shudders, clearly fighting to maintain her composure. "I see," she responds the quaver in her voice betraying the pain I know she's feeling right now..

"There's more," I add, quietly.

"We're being sent to the surface immediately, and..." Ri chokes on the words, so I finish for him. "We can't come home."

Her head drops into her hands. She's shaking as she asks, "For how long?"

Ri and I exchange a somber look. "Forever," Ri answers, finally. "We're forbidden to return to Underland." Neither of us can look her in the eye.

She breaks down in tears, unable to contain herself anymore. "How could you?" she demands after a long minute. "After everything with your father..." she sobs uncontrollably. Orion takes her gently and presses her head into his shoulder. "How could you do this to me? You're all I have left..." She dissolves into a puddle of tears and incoherent sobs.

The soldier excuses himself to stand outside and give us some privacy, pointing to his watch before he does. Even with the warning, we're grateful for the moment alone with our mother.

Orion is the first to speak again. "I promise we'll find a way back," he assures her. "We won't let them separate us forever."

She nods but doesn't speak. After a long minute of composing herself, she allows us to go upstairs and collect the few belongings we'll be taking with us. Ri grabs a few articles of clothing, a pillow, his favorite book, and his pocketknife. I take clothes and a pillow as well, opting for a stuffed animal and a journal. At the last second, I think to grab a pen as well. We each tuck our luggage into our pillowcases and trek downstairs.

"I'll write you," I promise our mother, and I mean it, although I don't know how I'll get the letters to her.

She nods, knowing just as well as I that those letters will probably never reach her. This is goodbye, most likely forever.

Orion holds her tightly, whispering in her ear that he'll take care of me and bring us home safely, someday. She thanks him, even though she knows it can't be true.

When the soldier comes in to collect us, we're as ready as we'll ever be.