Chapter 4: Moving On

Adrien awoke the next morning with the same thought he had when he fell asleep: Marinette. Last night felt like a dream. His entire way home he felt like he was floating. And no, that wasn't just because he was literally flying by swirling his staff above his head like a propeller to get home faster. He couldn't believe how natural it felt to hug her like that, or how he was the only one she told about her nightmares. He couldn't wait to see her at school today and ask her about Cat Noir. But wait, he couldn't do that. The only people that know about their time together are Marinette and Cat Noir. If he asks her about it as Adrien, it would make her ask questions and maybe even lead to her discovering his secret identity! As much as he would like to tell her one day, he knows he can't. Besides, she seems way more comfortable with Cat Noir than with Adrien, and if he tells her who he is now with the way things are, she might blow Cat Noir off the way she's been doing to him when he's Adrien. Still, he wanted to see if she was doing any better today than she has been for the last several days after talking with Cat Noir. Hopefully his company was enough to help her. Adrien reached out his arm for Plagg to fly into his shirt. He packed his school bag with his books, and cheese of course, and waited for his bodyguard to pull the car upfront to take him to school. He hasn't seen his father all morning and doubted he would see him at all today. What could he possibly be doing?

Marinette on the other hand was sleeping so peacefully that her alarm didn't wake her. It was Tikki that had to awaken Marinette.

"Marinette? Marinette? Wake up, you're going to be late for school!" Tikki shouted in her adorably child-like voice as she flew to Marinette's face to shake her awake.

Marinette groaned as she rubbed her eyes and shut off her now apparent and loud alarm. "Good morning Tikki," Marinette said sleepily as she yawned and bent over slightly to kiss Tikki's head.

"My goodness Marinette, I haven't seen you sleep so soundly in ages!" Tikki said joyfully as she floated around Marinette.

"I know, I feel so refreshed and ready for the day." Marinette said now a little livelier. "No time for breakfast, I'm going to be late!"

Marinette quickly climbed down from her bed and habitually went over to the miracle box to say good morning to the kwamis before she realized there was no one there to say good morning to. A frown briefly took over her face before she snapped out of it and ran towards the stairs.

"Marinette! Aren't you forgetting something?" Tikki said as she pointed down to Marinette.

"What?" Marinette asked in confusion. Tikki kept staring at her until she realized. "Oh my goodness, I'm still in my pajamas!"

Tikki giggled as Marinette quickly changed and tied her hair in two. Marinette grabbed her backpack, motioned to Tikki to fly into her purse, kissed her parents goodbye downstairs, and ran to school in hopes that she wouldn't be late to class yet again.

Marinette busted through the classroom doors as the bell rang, trying to catch her breath. All eyes were on her including Adrien's. He seemed happy to see her. Normally having Adrien look at her would send Marinette into a frenzy, but this time she didn't pay him much mind and simply smiled and waved. She knew it would take a long time for her to feel comfortable trusting him again after what happened with Felix, on more than one occasion she might add, but at least she felt like one thing was certain: even if they were to continue a regular friendship, she would have to put her romantic feelings to the side. It was time to start moving on. She didn't think it would be too difficult since they were already estranged at the moment, and lately she's had eyes for another green-eyed blonde hair boy.

"You barely made it," whispered Alya to Marinette as she sat down. "Ladybug duties or not, we can always count on Marinette to make an entrance," joked Alya to Marinette as Marinette rolled her eyes and giggled.