Chapter 7: A Kwami Intervention

Marinette awoke the next morning to Tikki's big, dark blue eyes glaring at her.

"Tikki!" Marinette, gasped. "You scared me. Why are you staring at me like that?"

"Because you and I need to have a talk," Tikki said grouchily.

"A t-talk? A talk about what?" asked Marinette nervously.

"You know what missy," said Tikki, staring at Marinette now more intensely.

Marinette grew more nervous. She couldn't know about Cat Noir, could she? Marinette gave Tikki a guilty smile.

"Cat Noir! What was he doing here and why didn't you tell me he was visiting you?!" Tikki said angrily.

"I'm sorry," Marinette apologized sadly. "I didn't know he was coming, honest. Or that he was coming the night before..."

"He came twice!?" asked Tikki even more upset now.

Oh, why couldn't she have just kept her mouth shut on that last part, Marinette thought to herself. "Yes, he came twice. The first time it was just because he was wandering around the city trying to clear his head, and I needed to get some air myself after having another nightmare. He saw me on the balcony and came over, that's all," Marinette explained.

"You've had more nightmares and didn't tell me?" Tikki said sounding sadly. "Why did you keep that from me? You know I'm here to help you."

"I know and I love you for that, but I also know seeing me have these nightmares makes you sad and I don't want to put that on you. Besides, Cat Noir was a huge comfort to me. He's actually been the reason I've been able to sleep through the night these past two days." Marinette said as a loving expression overcame her face.

Tikki noticed how Marinette looked as she talked about Cat Noir. "I'm glad he's been able to help you and that you're able to talk to him as Marinette even though things between the two of you have been kind of rocky when you're Ladybug."

Marinette frowned at the reminder of their tarnished relationship as superheroes, and worried about how she would fix things. Even though things are looking bright for her and Cat Noir when she's Marinette, she didn't want to lose what she has with Cat Noir when she's Ladybug.

Tikki also took notice of the change in Marinette's expression when she brought up her and Cat Noir's partnership.

"What's going on Marinette? Are you having a change of heart about the way you feel about Cat Noir?" asked Tikki suspiciously.

"No. Yes? I don't know," Marinette sighed. "Everything is so confusing. Even though I've had a hard time dealing with Adrien lately and spending time with Cat Noir has made it easier to put my love for Adrien to the side, I'm still in love with him and nothing could ever change that. But the thing is that I also love Cat Noir. He's always been there for me and has one of the kindest and most courageous hearts I've ever known, aside from Adrien of course. I love Cat Noir, but I don't know if I can be in love with him as long as I still have feelings for Adrien. How did things get so complicated Tikki?"

Tikki went to hug Marinette. She felt so guilty for not being able to tell her that the two people she's in love with are really the same person. She knows Cat Noir is in love with Ladybug, but she couldn't be fully sure if Adrien has finally fallen in love with Marinette during his late-night visits as Cat Noir.

"I don't know what to say Marinette. All I can tell you is to be the best Marinette you can be and hopefully with time, things will start to become more clear and everything will be alright," Tikki advised.

"That's what Cat Noir said, to give it time. But right now, the only thing I have time for is school; I'm going to be late again if I don't hurry!" Marinette said as she quickly got herself ready and bolted to school.