CHAPTER TWO

"You're being weirdly quiet."

I rolled onto my stomach and looked at AJ as our horse truck rattled down the highway towards the Foxton Racecourse. It was early on Saturday morning, so early that it was still dark outside, and we were on our way to Foxton for a weekend of show jumping. And after the week I'd had, I was more than ready for a spot of healthy competition, to take my mind off everything else.

"Just sleepy, I guess," AJ said with a shrug.

"Well, if you want sleep I suggest you get it now, because once we arrive it's going to be all hands on deck," I told her, glancing past her at the dividing wall that separated our accommodation from the row of ponies standing in the back, hidden from our sight. 

AJ's exuberant grey pony Squib was just the other side of that wall, standing next to Molly and Lucas. My six-year-old dark bay gelding Forbes was there, and Robin, the boring bright bay gelding that we were hoping to sell as a Show Hunter pony, because he was far too dull and uninspiring to ever have much chop as a show jumper. Even four-year-old Puppet had come along, filling up the last space on the truck and about to have his first overnight experience at a show. I planned to ride him around between classes and give him a taste of the atmosphere, and maybe canter him around a couple of low classes if I had time. It was always good for the young ponies to have an outing without too much pressure – it gave them a positive experience and ensured that they looked forward to their next event.

I closed my eyes and tried to doze, taking my own advice. This was going to be a frantic, non-stop weekend, but that was how I wanted it. I didn't need a spare moment to be thinking about anything other than course plans and clear rounds and whether my prize money would pay back my entries this week.

"I have to tell you something."

I opened one eye and looked at AJ. "Go on then."

"You're not going to like it."

"Try me."

"It's about your dad."

She had my attention now, and I sat up and looked at her. "What about him?"

"I..." She looked nervous. "I think he might be coming to the show this weekend."

"What?" I blinked at her, my head reeling. "How does he know..."

"It just kind of slipped out when he turned up the other day," AJ admitted. "I'm sorry! But I didn't even know he was your dad, and..."

I cut her off. "How exactly does something like that just slip out?" I asked her angrily. "You only talked to him for about thirty seconds!"

AJ hastened to explain, tripping over her own words. "Well I was brushing out Squib's tail, and he asked me if I was keeping it clean for a special occasion, and I was like we're going show jumping at Foxton this weekend, and he asked if Squib was much of a jumper, and I said yes but not as good as your ponies, and he asked if you were riding at Foxton too and I said yes. I had no idea who he was, Katy. I wouldn't have said anything if I'd known how you felt about him."

"So you thought he was a total stranger, but you still filled him in on my life?" I couldn't believe it. "Aren't you the daughter of a detective? Shouldn't you be more wary of random people questioning you?"

"Katy." Mum's voice came from the front seat of the truck, reminding me that she could overhear our conversation. She adjusted her hands on the wheel and glanced in the rearview mirror at me. "She didn't know."

"But-"

"It's done now," Mum said. "And if he does turn up, I can ask him to leave."

"You can tell him, is what you can do," I replied. "I don't want him hanging around. God!" I lay back down on the sofa, fuming. "He abandons us and moves to Australia, conveniently forgetting that we even exist, and then comes swanning back when his girlfriend dumps him and just expects us to take him back with open arms? Who the hell does he think he is?"