chapter four.

Old Friends

Old Friends.
~~~~~~~

I walked into the house quietly, even though I was twenty and I was an adult, I still tried to be quiet. It didn't do any good when I was going up the stairs Caroline scares me.

"Hey Hanna!" she said. I jumped.

"Jeez Caroline you scared me. I didn't think anyone was home." I said.

"Hey where were you all last night? And who's shirt is that?" she asked me.

"Uh." I thought about what I was going to say. I decided not to lie because we told each other everything.

"I was at the Salvatore's." I said sitting on a step. She gave me this confused look but also disgusted one too.

"What? With Damon?" she asked.

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"Hanna you don't want to be around him. He's bad news and trouble follows him everywhere and he's not kind whatsoever. He's manipulative and condescending. I should know because." she stopped saying whatever she was going to say

"Well he wasn't mean to me and he didn't seem that bad." I said.

She sighed and ran her fingers through her hair and then looked at the shirt I was wearing. Her hands flew to her mouth and she gasped.

"Oh god you didn't. Please don't tell me thats his shirt." she said and pointed at the shirt.

I didn't say anything I just shrugged.

"Hanna!" she exclaimed and then sat on the stair below me.

"Please tell me he didn't force you into anything and he didn't hurt you." she said and started looking all over me as if she was trying to find something.

"He didn't hurt me relax." I said.

"This isn't good you need to stay away from him." she said.

"You don't control what I can or can't do." I said and stood up. I went up to my room. She has been acting pretty strange ever since I got back.

I took a shower and changed into fresh clothes and then went downstairs. I heard my mom talking in the living room.

"Hey mom." I said as I walked in. She was in her sheriff's uniform and she was talking to another officer. The cute one I saw at the station.

"Hey, this is Deputy Parrish." she said. He stood up and smiled.

"I'm Hanna its great to meet you." I smiled at him.

"I take it you don't remember me." he said. I looked at him and yes he did look familiar but I didn't recognize him. My mom had pulled a picture frame from one of the shelves and handed it to me.

I looked at it then I gasped.

"Jake?!" I threw myself at him and hugged him.

Jake was my childhood best friend's older brother. He would always hang out with us or his mom would make him take us anywhere with him and his friends. They had moved a longtime ago because their parents got divorced and I didn't think I would ever see them ever again.

"Wait if your back does that mean Shayla is to?" I said eagerly.

"Yes. We both moved back after our mother died and we moved back in with our father." He said.

"Oh I'm so sorry that must have been horrible." I said sympathetically.

"It's okay." He smiled.

"Well we have some work to get done." My mom said.

"Maybe I can help." I smiled.

"It's just some animal attacks we just have been trying to find the, animal." She said. But what was weird is that she hesitated before she said animal as if it wasn't an animal which was a little weird.

"Alright well tell Shayla that we should catch up." I said.

"What and forget all about me." He pouted his lips jokingly. I punched him in the arm.

"I could never forget about you." I said. Which was true because I would never forget him. He was the first boy I had ever loved. He was my first everything. My first boyfriend, my first kiss, my first date. When he moved we fell out of touch. We sort of never really broke up but we both knew we weren't together anymore. And that was that.

They both left the house and Caroline had left so I had the house all to myself.

I called Damon and we went and walked around town. We went and sat outside of the Grille. We both ordered milkshakes and I ordered some fries. Damon ordered a strawberry milkshake, which I hadn't guessed that, I ordered a chocolate one.

"Ew. You dip your fries in the milkshake?" Damon said in disgust sipping more of his milkshake. I scoffed eating another shake-covered frie.

"It's the best combination ever." I said. Damon takes a frie dunking it into his milkshake then hesitantly eating it. He chewed it for a second then his face lit up. I raised my eyebrows and smiled.

"Told you." I said eating a frie while laughing.

I looked over across the street and there was a woman standing in the square. She had long curly blonde hair. She was just staring at Damon with a death glare.

"Do you know her?" I asked Damon pointing at her.

Damon looked over than immediately pulled out his wallet and left a twenty on the table. I was confused. He then stood up grabbed my hand and started pulling me away.

We got maybe a block before I tugged free from his grip.

"Damon what the hell. Who was that?" I said standing there with my arms crossed. Damon sighed.

"Her name is Jules. Let's just say she does not like me very much." He said.

"Oh." I said and we continued walking. He walked me home because it was getting dark out.

When I went inside nobody was home. I turned on the TV and changed into some sweatpants. I think I fell asleep on the couch when I heard loud banging on the door.

I walked lazily over to the door and opened it. Standing there was a man with a buzz cut and that same woman, Jules.

The last thing I saw was the end of a shotgun.