Ben's Story (4)

"He will be fine once this IV drip runs out. He will still might be suffering from headaches and a bit sensitive to light and sound so keep that in mind. We tried contacting some people from his contacts on his phone, but no answers." 

"Thank you, doctor. I'll keep it all in mind."

The exchange being heard sounded indistinct to Ben as he woke up. His head was still throbbing and the bright white ceiling caused his eyes to squint because it hurt him. 'Ah so they were talking about me,' he thought. 

He attempted to lift his arm but was stopped midway. He looks up at the owner  and his arm slumps back. "What are you doing here?" His voice sounded croaky. 

"..." The girl pulls her arm back and looks away. "I - I mean you need to lay still and wait for the IV bag to be empty. I need to go call someone." She stood up and walked out of his shared room. 

"Wait- ack!" The sudden rush to just wanting to move made his shut his eyes, keeping them like that and lean back into the pillow. 'So annoying, that girl!' He waited for a couple of minutes (like 30 ) for the IV to finally drip it last drop. 

"Alright, seems like it's empty. I'll call the nurse." He heard his classmate speak. He huffed in response but didn't spare her a glance. The nurse came by shortly and gently removed the needle from his skin. The two left the building after Ben got discharged and stood by the bus stop. It was very evident that Ben was still very drowsy. It helped that it was night time.  

He leaned exhausted against the pole and the girl couldn't help but worry about him going home by himself. "Ben, will you be able to get home safe?"  She asked softly. Out of habit, she looked at her shoes.

"Why are you asking such a dumb question? Where else am I to go after coming from the hospital?"

"It's not a dumb question - ugh.. you know what? I asked because I wanted to offer you dinner... at my place.." she turns away, hoping the bus will save the day and give her an excuse to leave. 

Ben looks at her, a bit stunned. Lots of thoughts ran through his mind, but one particular one was a bit louder than the others. 

'Should he say yes?' 

It wasn't like she was a complete stranger.  "Why the sudden suggestion? Do you want me in your bed or something?" As he asks this, his eyes scans over her body, somewhat alluringly. 

"No! Ugh, you're unbelievable! And unbearable..."  she shivered in disgust and took a step bak.

"Annoying when you don't listen to someone, isn't it?" 

The two glared at each other again. The annoyance in the tension was almost sizzling.

"I do listen."

"Yeah, not as much as you'd think,"

"Well I just asked, because I worried about your sluggish stance, not because of any perverted fantasies!" The girl was obviously flustered. 

He chuckled shaking his head. "Perverted fantasies, how old are you? 12?" 

The bus was sighted and his classmate huffs, looking away and stepping up to notify the bus of their position. "Whatever. Suite yourself."

And the bus halts.