prologue

ˏˋ fate ˎˊ (n)

the will or principle by which things are believed to come to be as they are; to be destined

chapter zero
water fountain

THE WIND BLEW OFF the colorful paper lanterns hanging on the entrance roof of some restaurant down the busiest street of Chaegu town

THE WIND BLEW OFF the colorful paper lanterns hanging on the entrance roof of some restaurant down the busiest street of Chaegu town. Several workers were standing outside in the atrocious weather to damage control, reluctant to let their precious lanterns fly away. I narrowed my eyes to see the name of the Chinese restaurant until I realized it was simply called the Red Lantern restaurant. Perhaps this was why the waiters were this attached to saving their lanterns.

I was informed that there were many foreigners in this neighborhood; more than the usual. Of course, a lot of Chinese and Japanese immigrants were in Seoul too, but there were more here in Chaegu town. As a matter-of-fact, both of my best friends back in Seoul were not your typical Koreans: Mashiho was from Japan and Lia lived half her life in Canada.

"Your phone is ringing," the taxi driver suddenly spoke to me as he glanced down at my illuminated phone through the rear view mirror.

"Oh, thank you," I politely nodded as I looked down at my phone too. It was almost on mute, and with the heavy sound of rain outside mixed with the melodious chanting of the wind, I didn't hear my ringtone at all.

Kim Jisoo.

"Yobuseyo?" I said into the phone anyway.

I was pleased to find out the caller was my sister. I was waiting for her call all day. She was supposed to welcome me on my first day in Chaegu town - as soon as she finished her nursing shift.

"How are you missing the big city?" My sister asked as greeting. "Not too small and depressing compared to Seoul, I hope?"

"Well, since you and Doyoung have lived here for a while now... I can't wait to find out why this city have such a hold on you two. Is it so special?"

Jisoo laughed out loud on the other side of the phone. "We have our reasons. Tell me, where are you now? I'm glad you arrived to the airport safe and sound, but you have to stay with your brother and I tonight. Crash into our apartment. It's too late to move into your dorms now."

"Really?" I peeked out to watch the dark clouds. "Oh, oops. You might be right."

"God, where are you?" My sister repeated, now sounding exasperated.

"On my way to the dorms..."

The taxi driver who was pretending he wasn't eavesdropping for the entire conversation now glanced at me through the mirror so quickly that I almost didn't notice it. When he realized he caught my eye, he made a gesture to ask me if we should change our destination, but I shook my head firmly to decline his offer. I will be fine.