v

ˏˋ silence ˎˊ (n)

the state of complete absence of sound, hush; the space between words

• chapter five •
one favor to ask

A CACOPHONY OF DEFEANING BELLS rang loudly through the academy hallways, announcing the end of the worst class to ever exist, better known as pharmacology class

A CACOPHONY OF DEFEANING BELLS rang loudly through the academy hallways, announcing the end of the worst class to ever exist, better known as pharmacology class. I rapidly shot up from my seat, ready to leave this cursed place as soon as possible. Jihoon seemed to have understood that I was in a hurry every time after that class because he collected his belongings almost as quickly as me and dutifully followed me to the stairs of the auditorium like a lost puppy.

"I'm stressed," Jihoon announced like it was supposed to be a life-changing and eye-opening statement.

I peered at him with tired eyes and a pitiful smile. "Considering the fact that I woke up late this morning and on top of that, only got four hours of sleep, I would say that I'm also stressed. It has become a routine by now, so who's surprised?"

"Well, welcome to Chaegu Academy midterms season! What are your impressions toward it until now, mister Kim Junkyu?" He pretended to hand me over a mic and waited for my answer.

"I was wondering... How do I get out of this prison?" I sarcastically asked although I wasn't sure if I was completely joking or not.

"If I knew, I wouldn't be here right now," Jihoon whistled.

"Figured."

A short silence flew by as we stood there in silence.

"Do you want to study in the library with me today?" He asked with pleading eyes as he tightly held onto the heavy manuals in his hands.

The sight of a dejected Park Jihoon was hurtful and unusual to see, but we all knew why. The exam results that came out a while ago wrecked everybody's mood once again. Needless to say, the average wasn't high, and everyone was barely passing - or on the verge of failure. It was even worse for me, but I didn't dare think about the consequences just yet. I had never failed an exam this catastrophically before, and it made me feel like dirt on the bottom of a shoe that'll soon be scrubbed off. How could I turn my grades all around? I wasn't Superman.

"I was more thinking of a cafe... if you want to accompany me. I'm in dire need of something strong," I replied as I rubbed my forehead, forlorn.

Either I would faint because of the midterm exhaustion and sleep deprivation, or I would stuff myself with as much caffeine as I needed to get on with the day. I hoped it would be the second option this time.

Yesterday, I skipped a class for the first time; I was simply too tired to bear a three-hour lecture. So instead, I locked myself in my dorm room and took a well-deserved nap. I couldn't do this every time, or I'd be even more behind in my classes. A genuine nightmare.