chapter thirty-one

WARNING: This chapter has certain triggers and deals with violence that may be difficult for some audiences. Please take care as you read.

"I dare you to stop me."

—Jason Phillips, Riot, Riot EP

Mrs. Daniels found her voice. "Please tell me Iris isn't in danger."

From the other side of their box-like cage, Thad groaned.

It was Thad who'd been tossed in here with him. Thank the Stars.

Wylan wished he could see the Daniels. To look his Destined's parents in the eye. Even if it was just to admit his own failure. "I can't tell you that, ma'am. I'm sorry."

A hiccuped sob from Mrs. Daniels.

"Which is why," he continued. "It's incredibly important that we get out of here. Immediately."

Thad groaned again. "Shit. Who hit me with a bat?"

Relief was a cool swirl against his skin. Wylan scooted toward's Thad's voice as much as he could. "Thad. Status?"

Thad hesitated a moment, no doubt taking a moment to check in with himself. "My head hurts. Probably a back strain, and my arm is on fire. I'm fine, mostly."

That relief spread further. A headache, some back strain, and an arm wound. All things Thad could work through. Nothing that put him entirely out for the count.

Which brought up the question again: why had they left them alive? And they had put them together in the same room?

What were they thinking?

Not that he would not appreciate that they'd dropped two government agents together with the same people they were searching for.

Wylan scooted closer to Thad.

"Are you moving?" Mr. Daniels asked.

"Ye—"

"Don't."

Wylan froze.

"There are packed explosives on both ends."

An anvil appeared in his stomach. "How do you know?"

"They told us not to fight them when they dropped us in here," Mr. Daniels said. "And showed us the explosives before they left us."

A bump bounced all of them up slightly. Wylan recognized the rhythm of the movement. "Bus or a truck?"