I

August 13, 2014, 2:00 P.M.

The first day of school is a mix of assorted emotions for every different person. Some people are excited to see their new classmates and meet their new teachers and start learning new things, some are thrilled to reunite with friends (even if they've seen them a week ago) or acquaintances that they aren't close enough with to hang out with in the summer. Some are anxious to see people who they really don't want to and some are angry due to their disgust for school but content at the fact that it's a year closer to freedom (freedom meaning working and providing for others so that they can do the same exact thing until you get old and die). It just depends on your personality or perspective how you feel about it, as goes for how you feel about everything. But it is made note of because you always feel something.

 The first day of school had now lasted nearly six hours and everyone had gotten through the day in either a satisfactory or expected manner. Everyone was doing different things- whether it was sitting at an open table proudly with your friends, wandering the school looking for a chance to get a knock out of people, staying in a class to get a head start at studying, practicing on the field for some sport that's tryouts were coming up, hiding by yourself in a bathroom stall, making out or already having detention. There is a variety of things you could be doing, or have already done when you got the opportunity at lunch, but now the bell has rung and it was time for sixth period of everyone was quick to attend their last class.

Miss Masey was especially anticipating the arrival of her sixth period.

 Jane Masey had wanted to be a teacher for as long as she could remember. The idea of educating the next generation who will run the world and specifically affecting each of the children was something that she felt was her place to do. She knew that the authority in a child's life will affect them forever, and she knew that after being singled out for being different for her entire lifetime, no one could be a better authority figure than herself. 

After four years of college, two years of internship and one year of substitution, Miss Masey finally had her break as an actual teacher. Last January, just as she had grown to accept another year of serving as a substitute, she had seen that one of Whithrow High School's English teachers was retiring and they were looking for someone to take his place, preferably someone young so they could be up to date with teaching methods and last longer. Miss Macey knew that there was no one better for the job than her, and went out of her way to assure the school of that as well. The school had agreed and hired her as a knew English teacher, and Miss Masey had never been more ecstatic in her twenty six years of living. In July, she had received a call from the principal, Mr. Griffiths. He had said that he was starting a new course for kids who he didn't think blended in well with the others in order to find their problems and cure them of whatever it was. However, no teachers were willing to lead the course and although she was knew, she was his last option. Although she had been highly offended, considering she hadn't fit in her entire life and the fact that the school board was saying that you must have something wrong with you if you are different is one of the most ignorant and rude things she had ever heard someone say, she needed to keep her job and keep a good impression so she bit back any obligatory comments. Miss Masey agreed to take the class, which was to be called 'Social Skills' as her sixth period, and she had grown even more excited. This was an excellent opportunity to affect a kid's life like she always dreamed of.

The first day of school had begun, and Miss Macey had already met five sets of thirty kids who she will teach English 3 to, but never had she been so drained. She considered herself a patient and understanding person, but it didn't take much understanding to see that these kids are demonic curses sent from below and intentionally born in the purpose of destroying her. So far there was at least three in each class who had chosen to throw something, not know how to hold back from offensively appauling comments, attempt to throw a nerd out of the window (who bit her hand when she tried to help him) and even one who had peed the anarchy symbol onto the flag that hung from the corner in an act of rebellion against the American government. It was lunch time that Miss Masey understood what regret truly meant, and that she hated teaching and she hated teenagers and she was going to hate the rest of her life. A tear had slipped down her face when she remembered that she had committed to teaching a class that was meant to snap out the outsiders. If the normal kids were this horrendous, she couldn't even imagine how the misfits were going to turn out.