Chapter Seven

Every muscle in Marion's body was braced to run. Could she reach the forest even if Septimus's arrow struck her?

"She told me to kill you," Septimus said, his gaze never wavering.

"You don't have to."

He tightened his grip on the crossbow. "I will. Eventually. I swore my allegiance. I can't defy her orders as long as she has my loyalty."

Marion squared her shoulders. "All you have to do is look the other way. Just for a minute. Let me get a head start."

Septimus shook his head. "It won't do you any good."

"I have to try."

Septimus said nothing for several long seconds. Marion inched her foot back, preparing to make a break for the forest.

"I've already done more than I should for you," he replied.

Marion frowned, confused for a moment until it dawned on her.

"The key and the candle. You left them for me. You helped me escape my room."

The crossbow in Septimus's grip faltered slightly. Then he lowered it, cradling the crossbow in the crook of his elbow. He approached the first casket Marion had seen and placed his hand against the glass in a gentle gesture.

"You've lasted longer than any of them," he said. "When they walk through the mirror, Lady Ingrid can sense their presence in her kingdom right away, like a wolf after its kill. I always try to buy them as much time as I can but..." Septimus shook his head. "Eventually, they all end up here. In the garden. Under the apple trees."

Marion glanced down at the casket then back up to Septimus. Lady Ingrid had chosen to wear her true face lately but Septimus still bore his human appearance. Something in his expression seemed...softer with familiarity as he touched the casket.

"Did you know her?" Marion whispered, gesturing to the girl in the coffin.

Septimus nodded. "My daughter, Constance. She came through the mirror looking for me. I had died before my time and she knew my spirit wouldn't settle, leaving my little girl behind without her father. So she wanted to speak to me, to let me rest in peace. I tried to warn her but I was only a common wraith at the time. I had no power, no speech. And then Lady Ingrid..."

He trailed off but Marion knew what the rest of the story looked like from personal experience. Lady Ingrid had worn Constance down until she had no choice. Septimus kissed his fingertips and touched the glass.

"Why didn't you release her?" Marion said. "When you became Lady Ingrid's right hand man, you could have set her free."

Septimus shook his head. "Lady Ingrid expressly forbids it and breaking the glass would defy her wishes. So I can look at my daughter all day long – for the rest of eternity. But I can't free her. I can't get her back through the mirror. I can't save her."

Marion's heart tugged at the pain evident in Septimus's voice. What a cruel thing to do – making Septimus suffer like this over his daughter.

"Just as I cannot let you run into the forest and escape," Septimus continued, turning his crossbow on her again. "I am duty bound to hunt you down, drag you back to the queen, and put you in one of these coffins."

"Then why did you help me out of my room?" Marion said. "Why didn't you leave me in there?"

Septimus smiled slightly. "Because Lady Ingrid did not forbid me to. And if it happens that my arrow misses you...well...that's simply an unfortunate mishap, not direct disobedience."