Chp.24: Last First Day of School

REIGN POV

My alarm went off waking me up from my sleep. I cracked my eyes open and turned over pressing the screen of my phone seeing that it was officially seven in the morning and the time has come, today is the last first day of school. It is officially senior year and it feels like this day has taken forever to come.

Through all of the moving, transitions, and chaos. I am now a senior. I am not where I once started as I started the journey of high school in Atlanta.

As a freshman, high school was like a whole new era. It was for me being in Atlanta. I felt like I belonged and that high school was as if I was stepping into the real journey of growing up, becoming a teenager.

Freshman year was a bit easier for me because half of the students from the middle school Destiny and I attended were also going to the same high school. So we weren't alone and we felt as we were making that transition with people who we previously spent three years in middle school with and going to a school where you don't know any of the people.

You don't know the sophomores, juniors, or seniors, and not going to lie, it really felt like a movie, where we were the "new kids" the "freshman's" coming into a place where everyone is already cliqued up, people where much older than you, they are ahead of you so it may seem and you're entering into their world.

However, we learned real quick about that transition from middle school to high school is the start of what high school is like.

Personally, during freshman year, I had already learned that friends from middle school change the moment they enter high school. I start to realize what the game of high school was like. I lost friends, then made new friends, I tapped into more hobbies and started to be a part of organizations like drill team becoming a majorette, but then switching to playing basketball and other sports.

I was that girl that wanted to be active. I didn't want to be in the drama of high school although there was a lot of it. However, I didn't want my freshman year to be consumed by fake friends, dating upper-class niggas to get noticed or become popular.

High school in Atlanta had so much shit and I wanted to do everything so I did, every season, I was signing up for activities. Volleyball. Soccer. Track. Basketball. I really wanted to be that girl that was going to get something out of being in high school and it definitely wasn't going to be a baby or a negative reputation that'll haunt my entire four years of high school.

Freshman year was when I definitely started to fully learn myself, find myself, what I like, what I don't like. I certainly had some wild moments, crazy moments, a bit of drama-filled in between, I had relationships and friendships, and it felt like I was my own Netflix series of Grown-ish.

It definitely shaped me as well as Destiny but unlike me, Destiny was living her life as a freshman, between her and I, freshman year was different for the both of us.

Destiny was the girl that was always out in the hallways, she was the girl that was hanging out with a lot of upperclassmen, she was the one dating the bad boy types, she was down with the shit.

We were really night and day but we were connected in ways of sports and just us being twin sisters, being there for one another at the end of the day.

Destiny was the twin you can catch around no matter what where I was the twin you had to be around to catch me around.

I quickly became the twin that was labeled the stuck up, boujie, prissy girl whereas Destiny was the cool, wild, with the shit ass twin.

I made friends because of all the organizations I was in, Destiny made friends by being very social and interactive and once again being in shit.

Truly night and day. If I fully explained my freshman year and Destiny fully explain her freshman year, you would think that we went to two different high schools.