Chapter 10

I grab a taxi and head out of the city. I feel bad for running off and leaving Dom as I did, but I couldn't stay another second after arguing with Rico. Not that he factors in my thoughts right now. But at that moment, our argument gave me the excuse I needed to leave.

Within minutes, the cab arrives at my destination. But before I pay, I slip my phone under the driver's seat so Rico can trace it all around the city. Teach him to track my phone. 

As I exit cab, I do an immediate sweep of the street lined with basic houses for the lower-income families. The only noise to be heard is that of the cab driving away and my heels on the path. The SUV Marcus and his mum share is gone, which means she's doing the night shift.

I storm to the front door and pound my hand against it. It sounds aggressive, but it's more about being heard than me in a temper. I know coming here could cause more issues with Rico, but stuff it, I need to know the truth.

The porch light flicks on, a lock clicks, and then the door opens and Marcus stands on the other side, topless and wearing the blue pajama's bottoms I bought him. My nerves kick in since I have no idea if he still loves me.

"Lex, what the hell!" I don't miss the shocked tone in his voice as he tries to focus on me. "What are you doing here?"

I ignore his question and get to my own. "Are you sleeping with Mandy?"

"What!" He rubs his eyes and attempts to stare at me through tiny slits. "You come here to ask me that?"

"Yes. So please tell me the truth."

"Who the hell are you to question me when you married someone else?" He pokes his head out the door and scans the yard. "Is he here too?"

"Yes, Rico brought me here at 2am so I could ask you if you're sleeping with Mandy. Of course, I'm alone. And no, I haven't had sex with Rico. We have separate rooms, and he lives with his girlfriend."

Marcus draws in a breath and then rolls his tongue through his teeth. "Why are you telling me this?"

I shrug, confused. "Because I thought you'd wanna know. Look, I know you're still mad at me."

His nostrils flare and he glares at me. "You got no idea how mad I am."

The sudden lights of a vehicle pulling into Marcus' driveway, has me barging through the door in fear it could be Rico.

"Lexi, what the hell are you doing?" he grabs my upper arm, trying to stop me from going any further. That's when a figure in the doorway appears. My gut drops and a sudden pain penetrates my chest. It's not Mandy, but another girl. She's standing at his bedroom door and wearing the matching pajama's shirt to his pants, the ones I bought.

"Indie," Marcus hisses. "Go back in the room."

She does as he asks. And then he turns to face me, but I avoid eye contact. "It's only sex, Lex. I don't love her."

I don't respond because I feel the fool for coming here and expecting Marcus to still want only me. So I focus on the other issue—the one parked in the driveway. I make a dash to his mother's bedroom to peek out the window. With a bent neck, I see the armored car parked in the driveway, lights on, idling away as condensation tickles from the exhaust. Dom must have left the club as soon as I did.

"Who's out there?" he asks.

"It's one of Rico's men."

"What!" he hisses. "You brought this shit here when I told you I didn't wanna be a part of it. What the hell does he even want?"