Three

Carina threw herself into her work, only going back to the apartment if she needed to do laundry. She avoided Maya as much as possible.

Maya was miserable without Carina. She could barely focus on work and it was becoming noticeable. She was making little mistakes when out on call and it was posing a danger to herself, her team, and the people they were saving.

"What is going on with you?" Andy finally asked one day as they were heading back from a call.

"Nothing." Maya muttered.

Andy frowned and shook her head. "It's not nothing, Maya you've been on edge a lot lately and have made some horrible calls. People almost died today because of one of those calls." The brunette shifted in her seat. "So what gives?"

"Carina left me." Maya said, staring out of the window. "She dumped me."

Andy instantly frowned. "What? Why? What happened?"

"She was tired of us fighting all the time." Maya muttered, tears rolling down her cheeks. She never once looked at Andy.

"Maya, you and her are perfect together. Don't let her go." Andy said softly.

Maya held back a sob.

"Fight for her." Andy told her best friend.

"I think I'm too broken for her." Maya said, sniffing. "She deserves someone who isn't broken."

Andy instantly shook her head. "Maya, she loves you and you love her. Do not give that up. Ever."

"How do I fight for her without pissing her off?" Maya asked, turning her head to look at Andy, showing her best friend how broken she was.

Andy smiled sadly. "You show her that you're not giving up, that you love her. Open up to her more."

"How? What do I say?" Maya asked, more tears ran down her cheeks.

"Anything, everything. Tell her how you feel Maya." The brunette responded softly. "Tell her how messed up you've been since she left."

"You really think that will help?" Maya asked.

Andy smiled at her best friend. "It's worth a shot."

Maya nodded slowly.

"Don't you have off tomorrow and aren't Thursdays when she normally comes home to wash her clothes?" Andy asked softly.

"I don't know." Maya said. She couldn't think straight.

****

Maya sat in the living room, patiently waiting for Carina to show up. She ran her fingers through her hair.

A key in the lock catches her attention.

Maya turned her head to look at the door.

Carina made her way in, carrying her duffel bag.

Their eyes met for a second before Maya looked down shamefully.

Clearing her throat, Carina put her bag down. "I thought you had to work."

Maya shook her head. "It's my day off. Andy and Jack

are running the station."

Nodding her head, Carina looked away. "I can come back."

Maya shook her head. "No." She said. She stood up. "Stay, please. I- I can't function without you. I need you. I love you. I know I screwed up. I know I'm a mess. I know I'm broken. I know you don't want that for yourself. You don't want a broken person. I get it. But I can try, I can try to not be broken, for you."