Chapter 11

On the drive to the mansion, my mind races with thoughts of Marcus. I'm so done wasting my time caring about him. I snivel, bursting with jealousy and wishing I could actually stop myself from loving him. And hopefully very soon I will. 

What I need right now is bed. And after the shit night I've had, I'll be glad to end the day and start over fresh in the morning. Hopefully Rico will be none the wiser about my whereabouts after I left the club. Unless he checks the tracker, or Dom tells him. I could always ask Dom to say nothing. Or is that too much? Stuff it. I'll ask. "Dom, if Rico doesn't find out where I was tonight, would you mind keeping it between you and me?"

"Sure. Not a problem."

I nibble the corner of my lip, thinking that was too easy. "Really. You won't tell him?"

He shakes his head. "Nope."

When the car slows down, I out the window and notice we are cruising through the industrial area? I sit up in my seat, curiosity turning to nervousness as he pulls up by the curb at a large vacant block. "What are we doing here? Is something wrong?"

He sighs. "No. We're just ditching the truck and waiting for our ride to pick us up."

"Ditching the truck," I say in surprise. "Why? What's happening?"

Dom turns the headlights off and we're suddenly in darkness. Now I'm on edge because nothing about this situation or what he said makes sense when the car is perfectly fine and hasn't missed a beat. "I'm sorry, Lexi, but I'm unable to tell you anymore."

"Are you serious right now?"

"Yes. I'm afraid I am."

What the hell is happening right now? I'm not even sure if I can trust or believe a word he tells me. "Well, if I'd known you were gonna pull this shit on me, I never would have got in the car with you." I exhale, exasperated, and then sit forward, my hands resting on the bucket seats. "Are we in danger? You can tell me the truth."

He waves a dismissive hand at me as he continues messaging back and forward with someone. "Stop asking questions. I'm busy here. So let me do my job. Can you do that? Can you be quiet long enough for me to write this message?"

His sudden bossy tone has me firing up. "No, I can't. And I want you to return me to my mother's house right now."

"Out of the question."

"Are you fucking serious, Dom? I demand you take me back or I'll call Nonna and tell her what you're doing. She said you'd take me straight back to the mansion after the club."

"For once, Nonna was wrong. And you're not calling anyone. Now be quiet, would you?"

My next thought is to leave the car. "You do what you want, but I'm leaving." I try the handle, but it's locked. It won't open and the sudden lights of a vehicle pulling up in front of our car has me saying, "I want out, Dom. Unlock the door!"

When a huge man steps out of another SUV holding a pistol, my anxiety levels spike to extreme. Oh my god, is Dom handing me over to the gang who threatened to kill William and my family? My heart skips about in my chest and my breathing becomes erratic—breath, just breath, I tell myself. But the thought of Dom betraying me has me unable to catch my breath, and then everything goes... blank.

"She's coming 'around." A male voice calls out.

Against the gentle fluttering in my eyelids, I force them open and immediately squint at the soft light aimed at my face. I make out a blurry, dark figure looking over me. I blink and focus until the man's pointed features become clear. His dark eyes narrow as he watches me, highlighting the deep groves in the corner of his eyes.