5. The talk

"Hello Regulus."

Cassandra looked over to the boy. He was pale, and couldn't seem to mask his stress, even though he tried to hid his hands casually behind his robes. He was looking directly at her, standing straight, but sometimes his eyes wondered around her silhouette, like he was in search of someone.

"Do you want to go somewhere more private so that we can talk ?" He said, his voice quieter than he expected.

Cassandra heard the loud chatter of the Great Hall far away, and instantly regretted leaving her friends. She was now apart from her group and far from the safety that a mass of student could bring. She felt vulnerable and she hated every part of it. She didn't know if Regulus was here alone and if he genuinely wanted to talk to her, or if he was only a bait created to attract her into an ambush. All in all, Cassandra didn't trust the boy. After a long pause, she wiped her thoughts away, and shifted her attention back to Regulus, who was still waiting on her answer.

"How can I know you're not setting me up?"

"I can't prove you anything right now, you'll just have to trust me."-she scoffed-"And yes, I know it sounds crazy, but my word is the only thing I can give you. Now, can you please follow me, we won't go far, just far enough so that nobody sees us talk. And as much my friends as yours." 

He was looking at her with pleading eyes, and Cassandra had the feeling he was telling her the truth. In addition, he was right: no one could see them together, it would cause many troubles in paradise.

"I'll come with you. But you'll be the one to follow me. More trust on my side."

"Fine by me."

And as more noise were coming their way, Cassandra took Regulus' sleeve and dragged him along with her through the hallways, only releasing her grip when they entered a small room. It was a very dimly lit room, lighted only by a few torches on the walls and very far from the usual Hogwarts' hubbub. Cassandra turned to face the dark-haired boy, who was almost hidden in the shadows. They stayed in complete silence, just checking that they hadn't been followed, or that they hadn't both driven each other in a trap. It lasted for at least five minutes before Cassandra took the floor.

"I might have an idea on why you want to see me. I was quite certain that there was a chance he would come for me, and if so, it was only a matter of time. I just foolishly thought my secret would will be kept longer. Not sure why they would send you though, you don't seem to be a strong lead of this group. At least not yet."

"The group discovered it during the summer. We were supposed to create a census of all relevant people in Hogwarts and he found out that you weren't on it. That's when he told us, because he knew. I just don't get why you lied about it to nearly the entire school."

"I hadn't lie to the entire school. I just omitted to say it. And it's not like everybody was walking around and asked me what or who were my parents. It was only to those few that I lied to. I had to."

"Oh, so your friends are okay with the fact that you weren't honest with them?"

"Don't give me your little condescending tone Regulus Black. I told you I did it because I had to! And I think you understand how much harder it is right now to be a pureblood. Especially a french one! Do you know how much the french pureblood families are prejudiced in England? Mostly because of your little Rosier friend and his dear family?"-she took a deep breath-"And you know damn well that being a pureblood can terrify others, now more than ever. So yes, I lied to my friends and they don't know about my fucking blood status, but being a pureblood is not a part of myself that I consider relevant for those I hang out with to know. Not like your pathetic little group. So now, if you want to try to sell me to the master of your so-called friends, I'll strongly suggest you do not. Because as you must know, being a pureblood is not an entry pass into the Dark Lord's museum of nutter blood puritists."