BUTTERCUP

My life before a family took me to them was a little sad. Every day was the same routine. I woke up surrounded by many who were in my same situation, a bad person fed us and treated us with contempt. I did not like that but I could not do anything about it. In that place many times the food was not enough so we had to eat fast to not run out of food, after eating the person in charge of us moved a sign that was on the front door and some time later many people came to our house, played with us for a few minutes or just stayed watching us for a few seconds but most of the time the people just left the place and we never saw them again. Only on special occasions a person would choose one of us, first talk to the person in charge and fill out a lot of paperwork (I don't know why they did this) and then they would take him out of the cage where we all were and then never see him again.

I was very curious about that, I wanted to know what would happen with them, maybe these people would take us to travel around the world or they would take us to record one of those food commercials that appear on television, but on the other hand this made me a little scared, what if these people take us out of here just to lock us in a box without ventilation and without food? this situation did not let me sleep at night, I always started to think, what would happen to me if one day they decide to take me? What future would await me? Is it going to be good or bad?

Days went by and little by little I saw how all my friends were being taken away and I was still waiting for the person who would take me to them. One day I thought I would leave that place because a little kid played with me and I felt that we had a connection. I was so happy at that moment. The day that I was waiting for a long time finally came, the final step was the parent's approbation... Unfortunately, it seems that the parents didn't like it. I don't know why, I just saw that the parents said something in a low voice to the child and the child cried a lot. After that, no one would approach me. They just walked past me and I started to think ¿am I ugly? What do my friends have that I don't have? Why doesn't anyone want me?

Those questions kept haunting my mind, until one sunny afternoon a couple entered through the main entrance. They seemed to be about 30 years old. The woman was short, thin, had long, black, curly hair and wore glasses. She seemed nice, next to her a man, tall, neither too fat nor too thin, his hair was short, black and straight also seemed nice. They approached my cage and we kept eye contact for a few seconds, my tail did not stop moving from one side to the other, I was very happy because finally someone was paying attention to me. That day was the happiest day of my life. They both looked happy and were talking to the manager to get me to sign the stack of papers necessary for me to go with them. Also that day, I found out my name, the nice woman told the person in charge that my name would be Buttercup.