Prologue

The storm awakes him with a startle.

Bilbo opens his eyes and clutches his new favorite dwarf king doll with all the strength his six years old arms can manage.

A new lighting illuminates the night sky, and the sound that comes mere seconds later makes him cover his sensitive ears with fear and pain.

"Mom?" He asks, valiantly peeking at the half opened door from above his shield of patchwork covers.

He waits, but no one answers, and Bilbo tells himself that his mother must be occupied or sleeping and that he must be brave

He waits, but no one answers, and Bilbo tells himself that his mother must be occupied or sleeping and that he must be brave. He is a grown up now, and grown-ups don't call for their moms when they are scared, because grown-ups are never scared (or so his cousin Olsbo told him before he tried to make Bilbo eat a handful of mud the day before.)

But what if mom needs him? What if she is waiting for Bilbo to go to her bed and spend the night with her because she is frightened, too? (His dad is far away, down to third-uncle Pilgrenim's lands, helping him with this year's harvest, so mum and he are all alone at home and it's up to Bilbo to make sure she is all right and not afraid at all.)

He swallows his fears, clutches more firmly the doll to his chest, and then rises from the bed, only to jump again under the safety of his sheets when a new lighting strikes the earth again.

Breathing heavily, he calls his mother for a second time. But once again, she does not answer, and Bilbo's imagination (which has always been 'too troublesome and un-Hobbit like' according to old uncle Balgo, and 'that of an artist' in his mother's soft loving words) starts pestering him with scenarios that slowly become more and more unrealistic.

What if mom does not come because she is battling against an orc?

Bilbo has seen an orc head once, when he and cousin Paladin (his favoritest of all his cousins) managed to sneak in uncle Balgo's adults-only room some weeks before, all greyish and horrid and hanging above uncle's chimney (and mom had told Balgo that having an stuffed orc head hanging in his smoking room was what was un-Hobbit like, and not Bilbo's imagination. So take that, uncle), and it scared him and gave him nightmares until his dad told him that mom had defeated it, and that she was feared by all the orcs since then because she was amazing and those things would never ever dare come so close to The Shire again.

(Bilbo never doubted his father's words, because mom could make the Sackville-Bagginses take flight once they'd spotted her from afar, and that was incredible and one of the reasons his dad married her, he told Bilbo once; and Bilbo hopes to marry such an incredible person himself one day too.

He does not like the Sackville-Bagginses and the way they look at him. Especially cousin Olsbo, who once killed a squirrel with a stone that Bilbo told him that was his friend, since he always gave it food and it ate in his hands, making him giggle with the tickling, and called him 'weird' when he cried and after Bilbo decided to ask his dad help to bury the animal so it could go to play with Lady Yavanna, who created all the living things under the sun.)