13. Floor: 71

Will

Haylie and I jolt apart, still in a daze. I never thought I'd be so upset over being saved.

"Will? Haylie?"

I hear what sounds like Ashley's distant, muffled voice from above.

Either that, or I've gone insane.

"Ash?!" I stand up and call back.

"We'll get you two out soon!"

An almost unbelievably overwhelming feeling of relief sinks in. It's like the feeling of finally scratching a hard to reach itch, being able to breathe freely after having a stuffy nose, and taking a hot shower after a tiring day – all combined into one.

"Oh thank god," Haylie sighs.

We stand there quietly before slowly looking at each other awkwardly. Haylie's cheeks turn pink and she turns away. "Well, um," she mumbles, "people sure do some crazy things when under pressure."

I laugh and lean against the wall behind me. "I presume this means you're rejecting my invitation to go out?"

She gives me a sly smirk. "Not necessarily, I suppose," she chuckles. "Let's get the hell out of this elevator before we think about that, though."

As if on cue, the elevator lights turn back on and we feel ourselves going up. The button panel is still dead, but we stop at what I assume is the seventy first floor.

"Stand back!" we hear an unfamiliar voice call.

Haylie and I scramble to stand against the adjacent wall as a crowbar is jammed through the space between the doors. They're pried open with an unpleasant screeching noise and we're met with a group of disgruntled looking maintenance workers.

As soon as we step out of the elevator, Ashley rushes over and pulls me into a lung-crushing hug. "I'm so glad you're ok!" she exclaims. As soon as she pulls away, she gives me a hard punch to the chest.

I cough and stumble a step backwards as the wind is knocked out of me.

"The hell was that for?" I wheeze.

"Don't scare me like that!" She crosses her arms and frowns. "I thought you were dead!"

I chuckle as she pulls me into another equally tight hug.

"Oh, hi Haylie!" Ashley says once she's noticed Haylie awkwardly standing to the side. "I understand if you'd like to reschedule." Ashley gives her a warm, sympathetic smile. "I'm sure it's been a rough morning for you."

I quickly speak up before Haylie can respond. "Actually, would you mind coming up to my office to speak with me first, Haylie?"

"Um." She hesitantly looks at the elevator and bites her lip.

"Let's take the stairs," I laugh and nod to the stairwell down the hall.

—--

I've never been so glad to see my office and be in a room larger than a closet. I invite Haylie to come in first before shutting the door behind us.

"Listen, about the job," I begin as I lead her over to my desk.

"You're willing to look past my lack of experience because of the bond we formed while in the elevator and hire me?" Haylie gives me a wide and charming grin.

"Well, no, of course not," I scoff as I take a seat behind my large glass desk. "I'm really sorry but I still have a business to run here. You're clearly too inexperienced for the job – Kayla would have my head if I hired you."