Machiko

Name: Machiko

Age: Unknown

Power: Shapeshifting, possession

Species: Tanuki Spirit

Likes: Miwa, Gumchi, snacks, other animals, causing trouble, sleeping comfortably.

Dislikes: Miwa's father, anyone who trespasses into her home, having her things stolen, possessing humans by force.

Bio: In Feudal Japan, Machiko was an unnamed Tanuki spirit who lived in a small shrine back in Ancient Iga. During that time period, she became friends with a young shrine maiden named Atsuko, who seemed to communicate with animals. Overtime, Atsuko's family began to worry the more she communicated with the Tanuki, believing it was bringing bad omens towards their family. This seemed to confirm their fears, as the Tanuki possessed Atsuko, believing it was about to harm them, when in reality, it was an attempt to protect Atsuko and her family from bandits. This worsened as Atsuko soon lost her life to the very people she cared about, thinking that she was too far gone from the possession. Since then, the Tanuki had begun doing 2 things: she would ask the humans she met if she would possess them, and the second, the Tanuki would take the shape of her dear friend. As years pass, the nameless spirit would befriend and lose humans, slowly causing the Tanuki to despair and hate the very thing it befriended all those years ago. This all changes when she's saved by a girl who resembles an old friend..a lonely girl named Miwa. The spirit and the girl would soon become friends as they would explore the woods, look up at the starry night sky of Miwa's roof, and roam the streets of Eagle City, the Tanuki even earned the name, 'Machiko' from the girl, explaining that it means 'fortunate child'. One day, her new friend opens up and explains her home life, from her mother's death to her father becoming distant, the Tanuki, now known as Machiko asks Miwa if she would let her in. Miwa takes in Machiko, believing she meant to let her in her family home as a pet. Machiko was then taken back to the woods by Miwa's paranoid father, believing it would save the family from any supposed danger. She later returns to the house when one of the possessed children informs her of Miwa's fate, finding the house on fire, she quickly turns into her human form and asks her again if she would let her in. When her friend accepted Machiko's question, she possessed Miwa, gained access to her memories, and was angered by what she saw. Machiko would take some control of Miwa's body as she woke up in the hospital, scaring her father in the process, leading the both of them to be taken in by the possessed children and their leader.