Chapter One

“Now?” I ask as I look over to Pyro.

“Not yet… If you get this right, we’ll go to Rockys. And I’ll pay for everything.” She says as she finishes straightening Marine’s hair.

I look back at the bowl of water and start concentrating on making it rise. I feel the energy run through my veins. I take long deep breaths. I can hear the sound of the wind and water rolling in and out like the ocean tides.

As I focus, I try remembering the sound of dolphin and whale calls. I close my eyes, feeling my third eye work hard to raise the water. My hair rolls off my shoulders as the wind grows stronger. I know that my sisters are trying to help me, so I smile. When I open my eyes, I see water rising in front of me, making an ocean wave.

“Not bad, but you need more work,” Marine says, looking at my creation.

“I’m doing better,” I retort, reaching for some cookies that we all made earlier.

“Don’t eat all of them!” Marine complains, fighting to get some of the cookies from my hand.

“Stop eating; we’re going out.” I look up to see Pyro smiling and getting money from her night stand. Excited, I put on my converse shoes, grab my books on magic and put them in my bag, and say goodbye to Pyro’s dogs. Upon second thought, I give Pyro ten dollars from my own wallet.

Marine looks up at the clear sky and grins. “It’s going to rain,” she says. Her medium, dark brown and curly hair, now straight, circles around her small face. Her dark brown eyes sparkle with the anticipation of a little rain, and her dark skin practically glows. She has the gift of telling the future. She is the eldest of the group, though it’s Pyro who seems to have the most influence. Pyro was the smallest of the group.

Pyro, on the other hand, has a talent with nature, seeing auras, and controlling dreams. Not to mention some archery skills, a hobby she picked up years ago. She has light brown hair with natural blonde and red tints, which overall compliments her olive tone skin. Her light brown eyes are sharp and cunning-- she’s the most cunning of the group.

“There’s not a single gray cloud in sight,” I reply, looking up. My dark hair falls behind me as my face reaches towards the sky. Like Marine, my hair looks lighter in the sun. I have chocolate, sun-kissed skin and dark, dark brown eyes. Some argue that they’re black.

I practice witchcraft, which I inherited from my ancestors. Being the only teen witch in my entire, huge Spanish family was hard, until I met my sisters. They aren’t witches, but we all have gifts of magic and of the elements. We are all different, but so similar at the same time.

“Oh… Aqua, give it up. You know she’s always right,” Pyro says, text messaging one of the friends we were about to meet without looking at her phone.

We meet eyes, and I say, “Blah, blah, blah, blah,” half laughing.

“Elizabeth!” I yell, and run to give her a bear hug. Elizabeth is our best friend. Caucasian, part Irish, sea green eyes, alabaster skin, and medium length, gold-like colored hair defines her. She is known as the crazy one, because of her energetic personality.

“Aqua!” Pyro yells at me to compose myself. I grab Elizabeth’s hand and pull her with me.  As I look through the corner of my eye, I see Marine flirting with a guy. I don’t remember seeing him in school. He has light brown hair, green eyes, and he’s pretty tall. Classic basketball player look.

I jump right next to Pyro. We order a large pizza and 4 cokes. As we eat outside, I feel a fat rain drop onto my nose. I look at Marine, who has already pulled open the big umbrella.

“Um… Who is he?” I ask as I look at a different guy. He leans on his black Corolla, his pale skin more prominent against the dark. I can’t see his eyes through his sunglasses, but he has rose lips which girls would die for. From here, he seems muscular and tall. After a moment, I feel his eyes on me. Embarrassed to be caught staring, I look away quickly, my bangs falling over my forehead.

“I don’t know... but he seems to have gotten someone’s attention,” Elizabeth teases, poking me on the shoulder. Her eyes twinkle with her giggles. I punch her back lightly and laugh. Pyro openly scrutinizes him, her lips pressed together.

“What is it?” I whisper, looking at her and then him. There’s no doubt he’s looking at us. Pyro finally looks away.

“His aura is... he seems to be glowing,” she hesitantly replies, her eyebrows scrunched together with frustration. “Like ours’ do.”

“Aqua, watch out!” yells Marine.

I blink in shock, then see a piece of glass flying my way. I arch my back making a bridge over the bench, ending with a flip to stand up right. I see a dark shadow hiding behind the pine trees, and my heart races in my chest. Pyro is hurrying Elizabeth inside the pizza joint, while Marine rushes to my side.

“Are you okay?” she asks, her eyes wide.

“Who in the hell would do that?” I ask, exasperated. I’m confused, but not scared... The shadow disappears into the woods. “Are our weapons still in there?” I ask her, pointing to where I last saw the dark figure.

“Yeah... Why? Aqua you’re not thinking of...?” She lets the question trail off, already knowing my answer. I say it out loud, anyway.

“Oh, yes I am.” I swing the pizza parlor’s door open, the bells jingling. Just by looking at me, Pyro knows what I am going to say.

“No… The person got away. Don’t be irrational.” She says this while calmly giving a glass of water to an angry Elizabeth. I sigh in response. We’d just managed to get Elizabeth to stop saying, “I’m going to kill that son of a bitch,” when I hear my phone ring. I excuse myself and go outside.

“Que?” I say once I’ve reached outdoors.

“Come home, you’re 20 minutes late,” my mother says, sounding mad.

“Yeah, okay, I’m on my way.”

As I hang up, I feel something run across my wrist. I look at the spot, but nothing is there.