Sad story 😞

John and Tim were hiking up a steep mountain, on their way to the nearest rescue shelter. A few weeks ago, they had been separated from their friends on an expedition. It was just the both of them and several bags containing survival equipment, food and beverages. A small smile formed on their faces when they had made it to the top of the mountain. About 10 kilometers to go…

With their hands huddling their bodies, they continued their journey, secretly feeling a sense of accomplishment as they had hiked one of the steepest mountains in the world with minimum hiking equipment. Tim was a few meters behind John as he was carrying most of the bags. John was just about to turn around to let Tim know that they were going to take a break when he heard a familiar scream.

“Ahhh!” Tim cried as the ground beneath him gave out.

John’s eyes were wide with horror. He had just walked across that exact piece of land a few seconds ago! His friend just dropped into a hole right in front of him and there was nothing he could do about it. He didn’t just lose his friend, he lost a brother, a companion. He was crushed. It took a few moments to realise that he lost most of his food as well since Tim was carrying that bag. He had about 3 days worth of food and about 5 days worth of drinks. His heart ached at the thought of it. How was he going to survive?