The unthinkable

Sakuras POV

How do I even act towards Sasuke now? After learning what his brother Itachi did I had no idea how to face him and even when I did he acted like he didn't want to talk or be around me at all. It had been a year since the massacre of his clan and I just wanted to be there for him the best I could. So when I seen him heading home after the academy had let out for the day I couldn't resist.

"S-Sasuke-kun?"

He stopped walking but didn't turn towards me.

"Hn?"

"I-If you're not doing anything today I thought maybe we could hangout and train like we used to?"

"Tsk."
Is the only response I got as he shook his head and walked away. Like I was nothing to him anymore. I just couldn't understand what had happened to us. I couldn't imagine how he was feeling and I understood he wanted personal space but he didn't have to shut me out forever right? I started following behind him impatiently seeing where he was going and what he was doing. He went to the same spot we always did and started to change but it was different. He wasn't just enthusiastic about it he was calculated...like a murderer. It scared me a bit the look in his eyes how it had gone from joy to what seem liked insanity. It had only been a year since we sat here together him insisting on me seeing his progress and now he was hiding it the only reason I could come up with was because he was dark and cruel now. I accidentally stepped on a twig clearly giving myself away to him. Shit! How clumsy are you Haruno I thought to myself.

"Sakura? What are you doing here?"

I thought about running but this is my Sasuke...my best friend...he wouldn't hurt me...right? I stepped out from the bushes and hung my head. I decided to just be honest with him.

"I'm sorry Sasuke-kun I was just worried about you."

"Don't concern yourself with me. Focus on making yourself a better ninja. You gave yourself away just like you did when you were four. Have you really not improved at all?"

I felt taken aback by his sudden insult towards me but I also knew that deep down he was just deflecting my concern so he could suffer alone.

"Sasuke I'm just worried about you. You haven't spoken to me in a year. I want to be here for you."

"I don't want you here Sakura. Just go."

Tears welled in my eyes at his harsh words. How could he say he doesn't want me here. Doesn't he know he's all I care about...

"Tsk! Stop crying, you're getting ready to become a shinobi!"

I sniffled back my sobs and wiped my tears. Even smiled slightly remembering that's what he had told me when we were four too. So he was still my Sasuke...somewhere in there. I pulled myself together the best that I could for a nine year old and tried to speak to him.

"Y-you once told me I was too pretty to cry."

He didn't respond and I didn't expect him too so I just smiled and opened my arms to him.

"Now I'm telling you that you're too great a friend for me to give up on."

"Hn."

And after his usual noise he turned around and started walking away but before he could turn I seen a slight smile on his face that gave me something wonderful...hope.