Chapter 2

I yawn as I scrub the dishes from breakfast at Gran's place, the early morning light filtering through the kitchen window. Toast crumbs and tea stains seem to mock my tiredness. Gran's always been an early riser, but I'm more of a night owl, accustomed to the hum of city streets rather than the tranquillity of Harbourview. Last night was no exception—I tossed and turned, unable to shake off the restlessness that seemed to cling to me like a shadow. It's strange being back here, as if reality hasn't quite caught up with me yet.

As I rinse the last plate, I can't help but reflect on my futile battle with insomnia over the past few months. It's been a journey through the depths of the internet's sleep remedies, from yoga poses to lavender-scented oils, all in pursuit of elusive rest. Yet, despite my efforts, sleep remains a distant dream, and I'm convinced that my under-eye circles could give raccoons a run for their money. A yawn escapes me, and in my drowsiness, I accidentally squirt dish soap directly into my eye. Cursing, I fumble for the dish towel, wondering if today could get any worse.

"Are you up for starting at the cafe this afternoon, love?" Gran's voice echoes from the front room. "Helen's little ones are under the weather, and she needs someone to cover. If not, I can ask someone else."

I blink away the soapy sting and reply, "Yeah, sure. I can do it." Despite the mishap with the soap, I'm secretly relieved to have something to occupy my day besides wallowing in self-pity. I finish up with the dishes, grab my bag, and head for the front door.

"I'm going for a walk around, Gran," I announce, poking my head into the front room. "Need anything from the shops?"

Gran shakes her head. "No, dear. I'm off to the cafe soon. Say hello to Jean and Tom for me if you see them."

With a nod, I step outside into the crisp morning air. The familiar sights and sounds of Coral Cove greet me as I make my way down the hill towards the main street. The village hasn't changed much, its quaint charm still intact. Passing by The Boardwalk, Jean and Tom's shop, memories flood back of childhood summers spent buying ice lollies and trinkets. I push open the door, and the bell above announces my arrival.

Tom's shiny bald head pops up from behind a large stack of newspapers on the counter, practically lighting up the room like a disco ball. I chuckle slightly at the sight. His wrinkled old face spreads into a huge grin as I give him a small wave.

"Jean!" he calls through to the backroom. "It's Clemmie, she's here!"

He shuffles around from behind the counter and gives me a big hug, as Jean appears from behind the curtain door to the storage room to beam at me too.

"It feels like we've not seen you in years, oh let me have a look at you," Jean says, joining in on the hug, then stepping back to take me in. I stand awkwardly with my arms out from the hug.

"It's really only been a few years, I guess," I say laughing.

"Yes, yes, but we last saw you when you were still in school! Now, you're an adult, a grown woman. Oh, my goodness Clemmie, you look so much like your mum" Jean replies as Tom nods in agreement behind her. I give them both an appreciative smile.

"How are you? Nothing has changed much by the looks of things," I ask them both.

"Oh same old, same old. It was a busy summer last year with the heatwave, we were rushed off our feet. Here's hoping for another one like it and maybe we can retire early from the ice cream sales," Tom chuckles, making his way to sit back behind the counter.

"How are you doing, being here?" asks Jean, her kind eyes searching my face. Jean and Gran are good friends, so I know she will know the whole story, all of the details.