Chapter 5 "Compromise"

All week I tried to avoid Gabriel. I was doing it for his sake so that he would stay close to his target and he could focus on Emily without bothering me. However, Gabriel was constantly trying to find out why I had begun to avoid him, and inquired about my health, frequently approaching and making physical contact with me. In such situations, I usually said I had to go or that I was busy, but this time it didn't work.

That day I had to finish my work faster because the next day I had a business flight to London for a fashion show. I wasn't particularly happy about it, but it was my duty to go there. I was already finishing the paperwork to be able to return home in a moment, but suddenly Gabriel entered the office.-Nathalie we need to talk, but first, tell me how are you?- He asked quickly, changing his face from serious business to caring.

I didn't want to answer him because I didn't want him to worry about me. And it was out of the question to tell him that I am awake for a few nights because I am suffering from an illness after using miraculous, that I am suffering from a cough that is trying to hide at all costs.

-Everything's fine- I answered quickly, getting up from the chair and packing my documents.

-Nathalie, don't take your health lightly, I know you are not well, why don't you tell me the truth. he said in a calm but slightly sad voice

-I'm sorry, I have to go pack-I didn't know what to answer him, or rather I didn't want to, I had to skip the topic. I went to the door and opened it. But then Gabriel spoke in an imperious voice.

-I don't think you should come to London with meI stood in the doorway stunned.

-Why?-You are too sick, and if something happens to you in London, there are no doctors there to help you. It was absurd, and I got upset when he could tell me something like that.

-It's impossible, you need me there- I said confidently

- well, as your employer I do not allow you to make this trip, that is a business order.

Then I stood in a daze, not knowing what to do, I knew perfectly well that maybe my health did not allow me to make this trip, but I knew that Gabriel would not be able to cope there, there are so many things to do, which I always did.

-but ..- I tried to reason with him- there aren't any but, now come home and rest, take these few days off, please Nathalie doesn't try to change my mind, it's for your own good. I didn't know what to do, I had to go there, but the tone of Gabriel's voice was serious, at that point, I was afraid to disagree with him. He wanted my good, but I wanted his good. Despite my fear, I had to tell him something, I had to change his mind.

-Gabriel, please listen to me and don't interrupt me. I can't stay in Paris and you know very well who will determine your meetings, who will create graphics, who ... - I was talking louder and louder, showing more and more emotions, trying to reach Gabriel.

-I understand all this, I do not need you there, you have to stay at home-he shouted upset, such a tone of voice He had never used before, I was afraid at that moment. Did he think I was useless, saying he didn't need me? That's how I understood it, it hurt terribly, those were the most painful words I heard in my life. For a moment my face started to look like a professional face full of pain and regret, but after a few seconds, it immediately returned to the normal, cold one. I hoped he didn't notice my momentary breakdown, but unfortunately, he had to see it. I stepped into the doorway with nervousness, but in the middle of my pace, Gabriel spoke to me. His facial expressions, seeing me, quickly turned into caring but also terrified.

-Sorry, Nathalie, it wasn't meant to sound like that, that's not what I meant, forgive me- he said thoughtfully said nothing, I was furious but also despairing. Nice to apologize, but you had to think about what was said. I ignored it and walked on. I was glad that Gabriel was not following me, he understood that he needed a moment to himself now.

However, privacy was not given to me, because after a few steps I started coughing, it was so strong that I even choked on it, I fell to the ground due to lack of strength. I saw Gabriel come to my side without hesitating. He grabbed me from behind, letting me lean against him. He waited so long for my cough to stop, and with every second of cough, he panicked more and more. When it was over, I fell on his chest without any strength. When my suffering ended, we both experienced relief. Sitting in soothing silence.

-Forgive me, I didn't mean to say that- he said, whispering in my ear

-I really don't want you to take the risk of riding with me- he said calmly, in a kind of loving voice.

-I understand, you said it in anger, but please let me go, I have to be there- I replied weakly.

-It would be good if you feel better tomorrow but know that if you feel worse in London, we will immediately return to Paris. He said calmly. It was strange because I was convinced that he would still stubbornly defend his arguments, and today he just made a concession.

-Thank you, but now I really have to go- I replied with a smile on my face. Gabriel stood up and offered me the hand I took.

-Good night- he said kindly

-Good night- I replied

I left the mansion and drove home. The only thing I wanted to do then was sleep, but I still had to pack. I did it hastily because we were going there only for 4 days. I didn't need many things, so after 30 minutes I was able to fall asleep. For a while, I thought about my relationship with Gabriel. I cared about his happiness, it was so important to me that I put it over my own. However, because of my illness, we got very close to each other. It was impossible to miss it, so I was sure Gabriel saw it too. But why didn't he do anything about it? Why was he getting more and more attached to another woman when he wanted his wife back? I understood his possible guilt, but that didn't justify his behavior, his tender words or hugs, the constant question of his mood, or even that one kiss. One thing I knew was that during this trip nothing would change, so I had to take radical steps. It was then that I decided that our relationship should only go back to the official one. With such statements, I just fell asleep.