Chapter 1

Shit. As I think about my surroundings, I start to cough up grains of sand that had fallen into my mouth prior to waking up. In my immediate possessions, I have a watch that is evidently broken, a wine red trench coat and a coin. More importantly, I have no idea who I am nor where I am. Despite that, my memory is still inconsistent as I'm able to remember slight details about society.

Well, I suppose I should open this letter that was left next to me.

"Greetings, you have been sent to this island to serve as the ace detective. Your name will be Shinri. Best regards, SODM."

What the hell is this? Me? A detective? Are they sure that they got the right guy? Well, I don't even have to be a detective to deduce that this is highly illegal and ridiculous.

After all, this mystery is a dead end. It's impossible.

I'd better worry about food and shelter beforehand though.

I walk closer to what I'd assume is the centre of the island to see if there are any animals. The land seems to be uninhabited by fauna, at least in this location. Although, it's filled with coconut trees. I could probably live a lifetime off of all of this combined with the local marine life. Not much to worry about here.

I suppose I could take shelter under the trees until I build a hut and live out my days in solitude.

Anyway, I guess I should give it some thought. The motive: a crucial part in all murder mysteries, but, there is none. Well, you could make some surface level conclusion like "SODM locked me up for entertainment," but that doesn't give me any information nor is it provable by any standard.

As I reach what would be the topmost part of the island by going up from my original location, my train of thought suddenly cuts out for a moment. Even as a so-called "Ace Detective", I didn't see this one coming.

"..."

"It's a fucking hotel on a desert island."

"And not some cheap one either."

Upon seeing this unorthodox hotel, I decide to hide the letter and my identity in case people are living here. They probably wouldn't be able to decipher that I was originally tasked here as a detective just because of my attire because, well, the trench coat is quite an unusual colour for detective-wear. Red.

Putting all that aside, I stride up to the entrance and see a man there, probably in his 20s wearing a standard hoodie but with an abnormal hair colour, white.

"Uh...hello." I decide to call out first to him while continuing to get closer.

He mutters something under his breath, but I can't hear it clearly.

"Ah, sorry, I'm Michael but you can call me Mike." He puts his hand to his head in embarrassment, which makes it seem like we're in an anime or something. "By the way, what's your role?"

"Oh, you mean that letter thing? It said I was a cleaner." I say, lying through my teeth.

"And where would 'that letter thing' be?" Michael enquires, staring into my eyes.

Fuck.

As I pull out my pockets I state that I forgot about it.

He lets out a small laugh, "Do you think I'll believe you?"

I didn't want to resort to anything like this but it's necessary. I reply with a grin.

"In that case... Why don't we play a simple game?"

"Oh? What kind of game?" He says, clearing showing his intent to participate.

"A coin toss. I flip a coin like this and you have to guess which hand the coin is in. Simple, right?"