Smashed Avo and Eggs, on toast.

The first time he tweeted it, they'd been apart for less than a few days. Troye woke up jetlagged, still on Cali time, and felt a pang in his heart, followed quickly by one in his stomach. He frowned, upset with his body for making him both lonely and hungry when he couldn't do anything to fix either at this time of morning. He pulled up his laptop and cuddled into the covers, hopelessly reaching for something to curl up next to. Opening the lid, the screen shone bright with a picture for their eyes only; him and Connor on Bondi just moments after the best breakfast they had ever had. Troye shut his eyes tight, bringing that moment into his memory clear as day.

It wasn't just the food that made it good; the two boys were more interested in each other than the poached eggs with avocado on toast that they'd both ordered. Connor had finished his food quickly, and was watching Troye savour every bite. The younger boy was struggling a bit eating with only one hand, but he didn't dare mention it, less Connor release his fingers from his warm familiar grip. Troye was really into the meal, and didn't catch the way Connor was looking at him like a priceless work of art, like something he could stare at forever and never quite comprehend. Connor was mesmerized by the boy, totally entranced with his every moment, still not quite sure how he managed to get here, holding hand with someone so perfect. As Troye swallowed his last bite, he began to speak, just as Connor ducked his head to whisper out the words he'd been bursting to say since he arrived in Sydney. "Avocado is definitely my favourite - Tro, I love you - ...fruit." The words smashed together and both boys looked up startled, eyes wide and cheeks bright.

"Somebody wake up and get breakfast with me." Troye sent the tweet, the indirect message to Connor, saying he missed him without using the words that made the cracks in his heart split open. He sighed, frustrated, and threw himself back into the covers. He loved Australia, but if Perth could be just a little closer to Los Angeles, he knew two young men who certainly wouldn't mind. Thinking back on the breakfast two short months ago, he made one more tweet before rolling over to go back to sleep. "Smashed avo with feta and a poached egg on toast and coffee cmon" - the tweet was meant for only one.

Troye nearly choked despite having nothing in his mouth. "I love you"?? Was that really what Connor just said? How? How could this perfect man who lived so far away and yet gave up his time to come to Sy- oh. Troye suddenly realized how blind he'd been. Sure, him and Connor were together, and it was something, and Troye had been in love with him for ages, but it wasn't until right there, with an empty plate of eggs, that he realized Connor loved him too. And shit - he should probably say it back. Of course he would; Troye was hopelessly in love. But for some reason, his tongue seemed to be stuck. It was Connor who broke the silence. "Troye, I'm sorry. It's too soon, isn't it? I mean we aren't even dating. Are we dating? Don't answer that. Too much, Con, you idiot. Shit. I'm sorry Troye." Connor stopped speaking when Troye squeezed his hand almost painfully; getting him to lift his eyes from the table edge he'd been studying. "Connor, look at me. LOOK. Good. I love you too. I love you babe. I just... I didn't know you loved me." The older boy looked him in the eye and spoke, his voice coming out scolding and strong. "I love you Troye, and I always will. Ok? I. Love. You."

On the other side of the world, Connor was staying up far too late, hoping to catch a certain boy when he woke up so they could Skype. He glanced at his phone to see two notifications from twitter. Opening the app, he smiled, tears forming in the corners of his eyes. Somebody missed him. Somehow, smashed avo with toast had become their secret way of saying hello to each other, and more than that, saying "I love you" without the whole online world knowing. Even privately, Troye would text him about his breakfast, and Connor would reply with "I love you too T". It was their thing, their secret, the only way they could be honest on their social media right now. Connor tweeted back to Troye, and laughed as the small band of Tronnor shippers he tracked started responding to the interaction. Those poor dears were grasping at straws sometimes, but had no idea how close they were to the truth.

Less than a week later, it was Christmas Eve. Connor was with his family, and Troye was in Australia. They were happy, together with the people they loved for their respective holidays, but as always when they were apart, a small piece of them was missing. Troye decided to make some breakfast, laughing when he realized Mum had bought everything he needed to make his and Connor's meal. Tweeting about the meal, he pulled up his direct messages to talk to the dear boy he wanted to be with most.

When Connor woke up in Minnesota, he was shivering. It was cold here, away from warmth of LA and somehow even further away from a certain Australian.  Speaking of... Connor opened twitter and laughed. He opened their recent convo and recorded a quick voice message. "I love you T. Making breakfast now."

Troye had a notification from Connor. A tweet about breakfast, again? He smiled, and rang the boy in Minnesota. Voicemail. "Hey Concon. We might have to stop with the breakfast tweets love.  I don't know how many different ways we can talk about avocado and eggs before our cuties figure it out. And, Connie? I love you too."