Umbrella. - Tronnor Fanfic Prompt #10

'It's pouring with rain and there's space under your umbrella' 

Connor and Troye had barely seen each other in three days. Between album work and meetings and filming and editing, they only shared the same place when sleeping. Even then, one was usually passed out in the bed when the other got home, and it seemed one was gone before the other woke. They texted more now that they were in the same city than when Troye was in Australia, and it felt like a greater distance somehow. Connor was stressed and Troye could tell; he could always tell when things weren't right. He'd learned early on in their relationship what to watch for with Connor, always worried about him, always worried about everyone. Now though, he was worried because he didn't have a way to fix it. The best thing for Connor was always getting outside; he loved walks on the beach or hikes in the hills, or just meandering around the neighbourhood taking photos of beautiful things. But it was raining in Los Angeles, for some idiotic reason, and it had been for days. Even if Troye had time to force Connor outside, he'd only be making things worse. Troye huffed as he thought about all this, sitting in the lounge room of the recording studio, eyes glassed over with preoccupation, not taking in any of the lyric edits on the pages in front of him. After nearly half an hour of tumultuous thoughts, Troye was frustrated. He stood to take a walk around the building, clear his head, and kicked the coat stand beside him. An umbrella clattered to the floor, and he picked it up, ready to put it back on the hook. However, holding it in his hand, Troye was taken back nearly a year to his first holiday with Connor, before they'd gotten together, before either of them had found the courage to start talking about, well, them.

May 2nd, 2014. Italy. It rained all day, but the boys didn't care. They saw the Colosseum, some beautiful fountains, but most of all, they took advantage of the weather and ate so much food. From cafe's to restaurants to gelato stands, they hopped around the city, getting their fill of the delicious cuisine. But somewhere between the last two places, when the sun decided to shine for a brief moment, Troye didn't remember to pick up his umbrella from below his seat, and he left it behind. It didn't occur to him at all, in fact, until they were leaving the covered market and crossing into an open square, where rain was once again pouring down, and the other boys had all pulled out their umbrellas. He was about to step out into the rain and deal with getting soaked when Connor turned back, walked over, and extended his umbrella toward Troye. The latter smiled and stepped underneath, gripping the handle alongside Connor's fingers. They stepped out and followed behind Tyler. Troye nuzzled closer to Connor, not wanting to get wet and trying to make himself smaller so Con would stay dry too. Connor turned to him and smiled, sliding his hand up the handle of the umbrella and over Troye's, fingers resting in the grooves between Troye's own. It was small and simple and utterly normal, but for some reason, Troye felt like his hand was on fire, and he was certain Louis' camera would be picking up his heartbeat; it felt like a drum beating in his chest. It had been building for weeks, months maybe, and any moment now, it might just burst through. For the moment though, Troye wasn't afraid of the fallout; he was simply happy. 

The memory made Troye smile, thinking about the aftermath of that moment. Within a day, he'd blurted out his feelings to what he'd thought was a sleeping Connor. Within two days, he'd discovered Connor had been awake, but also that Connor returned the feelings. A few blushing and awkward days after that, he'd kissed Connor in England, and by the time they left Europe, they were together. Troye didn't know if Connor attributed as much to that rainy night as he did, but regardless, it was the spark that had started their ever burning flame, and it might just be what they needed to fan the fire. He sat back down in the chair, finally able to concentrate, a plan forming in his mind. 

//

Connor arrived home from his seventh meeting of the day to an empty apartment. It was expected, but disappointing. Troye had tweeted about a short day at the studio and he'd hoped they might be able to at least eat dinner together before collapsing into bed. He threw his bag on the couch and walked towards the kitchen, stopping when he saw a folded paper on the table. Picking it up, he read. Meet me in Santa Monica, park where we usually do. Supper on the pier? Connor felt a little bit of warmth in his chest, eager to see his boy after so many days of not. 

At this time of day, in the rush hour traffic, it took nearly forty minutes to reach the parking lot. By the time Connor arrived, it was raining heavily, and he hadn't thought to bring a jacket. He had texted Troye but didn't receive a response, so assumed they'd meet at the Mexican restaurant at the end of the pier, a favourite for both of them. Bracing himself to sprint through the rain, he shifted to open the door, only to have it open for him. There stood Troye, completely dry, protected by a large black umbrella. "Hi" Connor said, grinning just at the sight of his boyfriend. Troye smiled down at him and put out his hand for Connor to take, before he responded.

"Connor, a year ago you held out an umbrella and shared a walk in the rain with me. That little gesture, you being you and sharing and giving all the time, gave me the greatest thing I could ask for. So now I'm wondering, will you let me return the favour? Share a walk in the rain with me."

So they did. Connor stepped out, placing his hand on the bar of the umbrella, slamming the door of the car behind him. They'd barely started walking when Troye moved his hand up, wrapping his fingers around Connor's. Nearly a year later, the grooves were still a perfect fit.