23. The Search Continues

She could tell he looked scared, and she wanted to let him know that he was safe.

"Who are you?" he asked sharply.

"I'm Hailey. We were rescued together in the Welcoming Forest. I was there in the treehouse when you decided to leave."

Evan stood up quickly, straightened his clothes, and ran a hand through his hair. He was embarrassed and eager to explain away the fact that his trek out on his own had ended with him scared and alone in a dark basement hideout.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, trying to soften his tone.

"We came into the cottage to escape the poison rain," Tellis whispered. "But so did the HRA. So if you two could keep it down, that would help a lot." Tellis smiled at Evan to let him know that she was joking, but Evan didn't find it funny. "I knew it was only a matter of time before the Prince sent them out after us," Tellis continued more seriously. "We built these cabins with safe rooms for times like this."

"Who are you?" Evan's sharp tone effortlessly returned.

"I'm Tellis Oliver, and I'm serious about keeping your voice down. There are two soldiers up there and they aren't just escaping the rain. They're looking for us." Tellis walked closer to Evan so that she could talk more quietly as she explained who she was to Evan. "I was in prison for the Queen, but your friend Hailey here rescued me."

Tellis smiled as Hailey became visibly uncomfortable by the introduction, hanging her head and stepping back a little. She was embarrassed to be connected to either Tellis or Evan.

"How did you end up down here?" Hailey whispered, trying to change the subject.

"There was some kind of an earthquake. When I first felt it I came into the cabin. Then I found this room, then I heard you two." He looked around nervously at the two of them, his eyes squinted in suspicion. "How do I know you aren't the ones I should be afraid of, huh? Maybe those soldiers up there are here to rescue me?"

Haiely looked at him with confusion. She had agreed with his distrust of the SG, but she had seen nothing from the Prince and his army that made her think they could be trusted either.

"They dropped rocks on you from the sky," Hailey explained walking closer to Evan. "They chased us across the garden trying to capture us. All because we came here trying to help someone. I doubt they're up there now trying to save us."

Tellis listened without any expression on her face. She was impressed by Hailey's speech, and though she knew it did not necessarily mean she was coming to trust her, she was glad to see that Hailey at least knew where not to put her allegiance.

"What if they were just trying to protect their land?" Evan asked. He was not just playing the devil's advocate. Hailey could tell he was legitimately questioning the search. "What if all they want is to live in peace and we're getting in the way?"

Hailey shook her head in disbelief, her mouth slightly open in shock at what she was hearing.

"You can't believe that."

They heard footsteps above them as the HRA soldiers searched the cottage. Tellis quickly quieted Evan and Hailey and huddled them all close together. They heard things crashing to the floor and, every now and then, loud pounding right above where the door to the basement was. The door, however, never opened. After a while of listening to the soldiers search, the three of them sat down on the ground. Time passed as they waited, Evan and Hailey with their eyes fixed above them, and Tellis with her eyes closed as she took deep slow breaths to calm herself. Evan rolled his eyes at the old woman who seemed to be chanting something under her breath, something about a queen.