Chapter 13 ~ Loneliness

"I-I..."

"You're lonely?" Hu Tao asked.

Zhongli looked down at Yanfei, who gave him a sad look. He then looked at Venti, who had just climbed out the tree he landed in, then at Ganyu, who hid behind Xiao. He then glanced at Hu Tao, who stared at him back with glowing eyes.

"Is that why you've kept us prisoner?" Ganyu questioned.

"Just tell em, Sensei. They have a right to know. You've been REAL selfish. You took Venti away not cause you don't like him being with Xiao; you just wanted someone to sing you to sleep. And the girl... you turned her into a duck cause you're always broke. Now this girl's beloved, you're just jealous that their love is genuine and not part of a deal."

Zhongli closed his eyes and turned to Childe. "Stop running your mouth."

"No! Let him!" Hu Tao shouted. "Childe, can you like... hold me out so I can talk to him?"

"Huh? Sure, I guess..."

Childe loosened his grip and held Hu Tao out. She cleared her throat and started speaking.

"Look, Zhongli, was it? I understand not wanting to be alone. I totally get that! In fact, I understand EXACTLY where you're coming from. In my village, people treat me like I'm a freak. I'm a prankster, I love making fun of people, and I have a very small friend group. Heck, I'm the only one who lives at the edge of town, near the woods. I know what it's like to be lonely. But with a partner in your life, you won't have to be! Love is a super rare feeling that comes and goes, but once you find the perfect person it can last forever. Contracts can't be used to keep someone all to yourself. Venti and Xiao are a couple! Ganyu has a girlfriend too. Now I have a girlfriend. Yanfei means the whole world to me. If you take her away, simply just because of a contract, don't you think that's selfish? You haven't considered anyone's feelings in any matter!"

Yanfei smiled at Hu Tao. Zhongli looked at Childe, who scratched the back of his head. He then looked at the two girls.

"Please, Zhongli. Just understand that keeping people because of a one sided deal is unfair. I hope you realize that."

Zhongli closed his eyes. He thought for a moment.

"... perhaps... you are... correct. Hu Tao, is it? Perhaps I've misjudged your true intentions. Childe? Put her down. Miss Yanfei, I am... sorry. I will put you down now."

Yanfei was set down with Hu Tao. The two girls hugged and looked upwards.

"Childe, I owe you an apology. As well as the rest of you. I'm sorry... I have not felt the same since..."

"You miss her... I get that. I know I'll never be like Guizhong, but I'll love you just as much... Zhongli."

Zhongli turned to Childe and stared into his eyes for a while.

"No... you are just as perfect as she is. Although you are a bit mischievous and sarcastic. But I like that about you. You are... quite entertaining."

"Did you have a lover before him?" Xiao asked.

"Yes. A beautiful maiden named Guizhong. She was everything I could ever want... until she passed away. I only recently met Childe, but he is... an acceptable replacement."

"WOW, Sensei!" Childe turned away, but Zhongli laughed and pulled him into a hug.

Hu Tao and Yanfei smiled at them, then at each other.

"I apologize again, everyone. Please, do take care of yourselves. And I hope you all find your relationships to be prosperous and healthy."

Hu Tao waved. "Thanks a bunch! Same to you too!"

Zhongli and Childe, hand in hand, turned and began making their way back up to the world above. The five watched as they did. The sky began to brighten once again, as though a storm had finally passed.

Hu Tao and the others smiled at the brightened skies. Everything was now better. No more stealing, no more running, no more conflicted feelings. They were finally free.

Free to be with the loves of their lives.