pilot ; s1ep1

"Dude I asked you to get me a candy bar! You may have had Shredded Wheat but I had Kashi!" I protested as Cory came over with one candy bar in his hand.

"Feeny got me cornered!" he replied, defensively.

"He's a teacher man, keep ragging on him, he's gonna make your whole 6th grade year miserable." Shawn shrugged. I nodded in agreement.

"I'm gonna be miserable anyhow! At least this way I'm taking him with me." Cory responded.

"Hey! Who's that?" Shawn nodded in the direction of where Mr Feeny was sat with a blonde woman.

"I think she's new." I stated, following his gaze to the table at the opposite end of the cafeteria.

"She must be new if she's talking to Feeny. OK, so how late did you stay up last night?"

I rolled my eyes but decided to participate anyway.

"Monologue." Cory started.

"Monologue, first guest." I added.

"Monologue, first guest, bad sketch." Shawn smirked.

"Monologue, first guest, bad sketch, funny zoo animal." 

"Monologue, first guest, bad sketch, funny zoo animal, Steve Lawrence," I said, knowing that would be the end of our little ritual.

"Woah!"

I began collecting my books, seeing as the time was quickly approaching next lesson. As if on cue, it rang and the chaos began.

—————————————

Voices to my right began whispering loudly.

"What's the score?" Shawn's voice asked. He made it so obvious and loud that I was surprised Mr Feeny didn't notice earlier.

"Bottom of the third, two outs, Dykstra's on second, Kruk's on first, 3 and 2 to Daulton." Cory replied.

Feeny approached with a raised eyebrow.

He removed the earbud. Cory pretended like it was his hearing aid and said 'huh' multiple times before Feeny held it to his own ear.

"Smoltz delivers, Daulton swings, oh, he got a piece of that one," the whole class watched expectantly, "It's a long drive, deep to center. Otis Nixon back, back to the warning track. Climbs up the wall...and..." Feeny removed the earpiece. The class groaned.

"Thanks, Feeny, you've saved me a job." I stated.

"Any time, Mrs Hunter." Feeny replied.

"Woah, woah," Shawn protested, "Not so fast, Feeny. We're not married! Only engaged."

I slapped his arm with my book.

"Ow." He muttered meekly.

"And I'll do it again." I threatened. And so the class continued. Some Shakespearean crap where a dumb guy kills himself for some dumb girl who he can't even be with and here Feeny is claiming it's the pinnacle of modern love between a man and a woman. I mean...I love Feeny, but seriously?

"Mr Matthews," Feeny begins after tearing 'Juliet' away from 'Romeo' as she was trying to kill him with a plastic knife (a better plot if you ask me), "You don't listen to the ball game in the middle of my class."

"Ohh, Cory got told." I muttered sarcastically. This was the kind of lecture that Feeny would give that meant nothing. You know, I appreciate him and all, but his way of teaching is beyond me.

"Miss Lopez. Your thoughts on the story?" 

"You can't force us to believe that if the person we love dies, then we should kill ourselves to be with them. And, as if we'd be stupid enough not to sit on them first to test if they were really dead."