24/ paved with good intentions

ADORA - 20 DAYS AGO

Eric's entire demeanour shifts from relaxed to alert, composed, dominant. He heads for the window and looks out. I stare at his changing expression. Worry, panic and fear mix into one.

My heart thumps. I can't think straight.

I'm in an apartment with a drug dealer. Convicted drug dealer. And I let him finger me five minutes ago. How the fuck will I explain this to the shareholders?

"They're outside." Eric's eyes meet mine. "They're probably blocking all the exits."

Something about this situation feels eerily familiar. I'm used to crisis. I can deal with this. My mind goes into dealing-with-near-bankruptcy mode; emotions shut off and rational thinking takes place.

"What do you have here?" I get off the couch, put on my panties and look around the apartment.

"Enough." Eric goes through the cupboards, drawers, even the fridge, and throws all his shit on the wooden coffee table in front of us.

Everything's neatly packed, I can't see what it is, I can't even smell it.

"Flush it down the toilet?" I suggest, still looking around, trying to figure what might be the best hiding place.

He pulls a gun out of his cupboard. "I can't flush this down the toilet."

My eyes go wide. Fuck.

"Please, tell me you have a permit for that."

Eric looks at me sideways, "Adora, if I fire that gun, I don't want it traced back to me."

My brain begins to calculate. I'm an innocent bystander. I didn't know about this. But it doesn't feel fair to leave him in this situation alone. Maybe I'm used to saving crumbling individuals.

"Someone tipped them off." Eric drops in the armchair, his face is in his hands, and I think he's given up. "Someone must have."

My mind goes haywire. I'm coming up with all kinds of crazy ideas. I'm thinking of jumping through the window, throwing drugs out of the window, stuffing them up our assholes.

"Give it to me." I spread out my hand.

Eric lifts his gaze, "What?"

"Give it to me." I gesture. "Now."

"No."

"Do you want to go to jail?"

"Adora!" Eric stands up, anger grips his expression. "Whatever you're thinking of doing, it's a bad idea. You're not a part of this, I'm not going to-"

"Give it to me, Eric!" I use my stern voice, the same voice I've used when I told my dad he has to get help. "Now!"

Eric's eyes narrow, "No fucking way."

I grab my bag and open it, "Put it in, now. All of it."

"What if they find it?" Eric stutters, his dark eyes are wide, full of something close to awe and gratitude.

"They're cops." I roll my eyes. "I'll bribe them."

Eric is still hesitant.

"Eric, drugs, bag, now!"

He finally listens. In a second, my bag is heavier for a bunch of unknown substances and one gun.

"Get in the bathroom and change." I command him.

"What?"

"Get in the bathroom!" I point at the door and look at the stain on his sweatpants. "You have me all over you."