16/ lonely tonight

ADORA – 20 DAYS AGO 

It takes Mark two weeks to make good on his promise, and when he finally does, he doesn't take me to dinner. I'm in his rented penthouse, not far from campus. He invited me over, but he's not here yet. He had to get a beer with his buddies downtown first.

The large penthouse closes in on me, and despite the huge, glass-covered walls, I feel claustrophobic. The place is modern, sleek and open. It's a male apartment. There are no details, or accessories. The only thing Mark bothered to drag in is the TV set I'm sitting in front of. The flat screen covers the wall, at least 50 inches wide in diameter. The sofa is long, wide and sturdy. The deep, red leather doesn't provide comfort.

His apartment is always full to the brim with booze, which is about the only thing keeping me from going insane right now.

Minutes are ticking away. He said he'd be here in five minutes twenty minutes ago. I lean my head against the backrest and stare at the white ceiling.

I'm wearing a gorgeous, lacy white dress with a wide hem and the deepest possible cleavage. Two tiny pieces of fabric cover my boobs. The dress is loose and easy to take off. I'm wearing it for him, but he's not here to see it.

Eric hasn't contacted me again. I'm relieved. With the rising frustration, the last thing I need is some hot fuckboy telling me he's addicted to me.

I stand up and open one of the windows, letting the air in. The night is warm, comfortable, and calm. Fresh air kisses my cheeks and my neck, but it doesn't relieve tension. I stare down at the streets and cars passing by. They feel distant. Everything feels distant.

The lock in the door rattles and I'm away from the window before I manage to breathe in.

"Babe? You here?" Mark's voice reaches me and I meet him in the white hallway.

He offers a lopsided grin as he takes off his shoes and almost stumbles over his feet. A huge, wet stain covers his grey shirt.

"Where have you been?" I can't stop the anger from colouring my tone.

"I had a few beers with the guys." He's still grinning, like he doesn't even recognise my anger. "Sorry I'm late, couldn't get a cab."

He drops his jacket on the floor and stumbles through the door to the apartment's main room. I lift the jacket off the floor, it stinks of liquor and smoke, and hang it in the white closet.

"Oh, I see you've started drinking without me!" Mark shouts once he reaches the living room and sees the gin bottle on the glass coffee table.

"Had no other choice." I murmur and he doesn't hear me.

"You know what we should do?" Mark pours himself a glass. "We should drink to a Marvel movie."

Or we should kill ourselves.

I don't say that out loud.

"How about we skip a movie tonight?" I try to force myself to remain calm. This night can be salvaged. "I don't think this dress wants me to watch a movie while I'm wearing it."

Finally, Mark takes in my outfit and a smile flashes across his face. He leaves his drink on the table and casually strolls across the room.

Butterflies flutter in my stomach.

"You look gorgeous, as always." His hands snake around my waist and he pulls me closer.

Mark has broad shoulders and a strong torso. When he hugs me, I feel safe and protected.

I just need him. It doesn't matter which way. Rough, soft, quick, slow. I just need him.

I find his lips and kiss him. He tastes like beer, smells like aftershave. His hands roam over my body, until he finds the hem of my dress and pulls it up.