Sayonara - Nickel x Balloon Fluff/Angst

requested by Trophy_Be_Hot_Tho_!

A/N: This takes place before Nickel and Balloon made up, I'd say... after Episode 2. But the challenge is different

TW/CW: Bullying, Mentions of near-death experiences

3rd Person POV

Waves calmly crashed onto the beach. The sound of cheerful contestants playing volleyball could be heard in the distance. Sometimes the occasional fight would happen, most likely between Paintbrush and Silver Spoon. Other times Life Ring would blow his whistle, since he was overseeing the game of volleyball, or Yin-Yang would start shouting for seemingly no reason. Strangely, they were playing indoor volleyball. The sun beat down on everyone, except MePhone4, who was under an umbrella he refused to share. Palm trees swayed slightly in the ocean breeze, everything was perfect.

Well, for most people.

Balloon sat on the shore, staring out at the waves, and longing for home. Not Hotel OJ. That place was anywhere but home to him. For him, home was Cambridge. He sniffed. He just wanted this to be over. He wanted to go back to his family. He broke into sobs. He sat there bawling his eyes out until a chunk of wet sand hit him in the arm.

"Hey Balloon! Are you really such a crybaby, that you cried an entire OCEAN?!" Nickel started laughing. Nickel always tried to make Balloon feel horrible whenever he could. And he succeeded. Balloon tried to stifle his pained sobbing as he went to search for somewhere quiet.

Luckily someone saw him.

"Balloon!" Tea Kettle yelled. "Hon, what's the matter?" Tea Kettle gave Balloon a tissue.

"N-Nickel- Nickel won't leave me alone..."

"Oh, well, I'll make sure to talk to him. Is it ok if I leave you alone to calm down a little..?"

"Sure..."

The frantic sobbing died down as Balloon slowly fell asleep.

☆☆☆

"Balloon?" Balloon was awoken by someone kicking his leg repeatedly.

"Huh...?" Balloon muttered. He looked up and saw Nickel. "Go away." Balloon turned around and crossed his arms.

"Balloon..." Nickel inhaled softly. "I-I'm sorry." Balloon noticed some injuries on Nickel's legs.

"What happened?"

"Paintball challenge."

The two sat in silence for what felt like hours, and into the pitch-black night.

"I forgive you." Balloon finally said, putting his arm around Nickel.

Balloon just enjoyed the quiet ambience. Nickel's soft breathing, the sounds of the various wildlife that inhabited the island alongside the contestants, and MePhone4 of course. Occasionally yelling could be heard, coming from the safe contestant's usual bonfire. Nickel and Balloon, along with the rest of The Thinkers had been there before, there's OJ's horror stories about people who'd stayed at Hotel OJ, Bow's silliness, and best of all, fun.

"Nickel..?"

"Yeah, Bubs?" The two froze.

"Bubs?" Ballon said, a chuckle in his voice.

"I didn't mean to!" Nickel laughed as well. Nickel went back to relaxing.

"There's a lot of stars out." Balloon glanced at Nickel.

"Yeah."

The blaring of MePhone4's alarm disrupted the island's regular activity.

"Should we go?" Nickel asked Balloon.

"Nah."

The two went back to their comfortable silence. Minutes later, Balloon spoke again.

"Nickel, I was gonna ask..." Balloon said nervously. Nickel turned to face the spherical object.

"Why were you so mean to me for all those years?"

"I-" Nickel fell silent. He thought he would ask that.

"Nickel..." Balloon pulled his knees close to his "chest".

"B-Because... Look, I was really close-minded, ok? I didn't want to believe you changed, because growing up in a state capital, people who are jerks, they STAY jerks." Nickel's expression softened as he turned away. "I learned that the hard way."

"Nickel..." Balloon decided to stay quiet.

There was some commotion over at the safe contestant's bonfire. Paintbrush and SIlver Spoon raced each other to the elimination area, possibly to get Life Ring, but Paintbrush was clearly winning. They were much for athletically inclined than the entitled Silver Spoon, who probably hadn't tried to run since his last P.E. class of his 12th grade year.

"Should we be worried?" Balloon spoke up.

The two were silent for a bit.

"No." Nickel said plainly. The two erupted into boisterous laughter. The evening went on, until MePhone4 approached them.

"Nickel! Balloon! It's elimination time! We've been waiting for an hour!" He yelled angrily.

"Fine, fine, we're coming. Sheesh." Nickel rolled his eyes as the two boys went to the elimination area.

☆☆☆

"Alright! Today's safe contestant is Balloon." MePhone4's screen showed Balloon's picture, along with the viewer votes. Balloon let out a sight of relief.

"Oh, are you two a thing now?" Life Ring came back and looked at the two boys.

"Uh-" Nickel started to say.

"Where were you?" Balloon interrupted, obviously to change the subject.

"Oh. Yin-Yang almost died. We can talk about it later if I don't get eliminated. MePhone doesn't know."

"...And the 3rd contestant eliminated from Inanimate Insanity Invitational is..."

...

"Nickel." Nickel's face went from fear to sorrow.

"No..." Balloon whispered to himself.

"Well, Nickel, it's time to go." MePhone4 readied The Fist Thingy

"Wait, Nickel." Balloon ran to Nickel.

"Nickel, wherever you end up, I hope you stay safe there. Just know that I'll miss you."

"I-" Nickel couldn't finish his sentence. "Sayonara, new friend."

Balloon giggled softly. "Sayonara."

Nickel was hit with the giant boxing glove.

"LOVE YOU!" Balloon shouted.

"LOVE YOU TOO!" Nickel shouted back. Balloon's face turned an even darker shade of red, as he walked away to go find a sleeping spot.

"I miss you already.." He said to himself.

WOOOOOO YEA

Nickloon <3

uhh funny thing i ship Nickel with Baseball and Balloon (at the same time) but i don't ship BB and Balloon together, y'know, like a polyamorous relationship-

i guess Nickel just likes plus-size people idk 👀

887 words

-Beau