Chapter 2

When I saw the familiar sight of my Manhatten apartment building coming into view, my relief knew no bounds. I needed to talk to Jane but hadn't trusted myself to drive and talk at the same time. I quickly parked and wobbled my way upto the entrance to my building. Jerry, the security guard, looked up from the newspaper his nose was buried in and gasped, no doubt at my current appearence. He got up, and started saying, "Miss Rodriguez, are you- "

I cut him short with a curt "I'm fine!", desperate to get home and rushed into the elevator, almost sighing in relief as I saw its doors close.

Once I had slammed my main door shut, I practically ran to the refrigerator in the kitchen and opened the bottle of Absolut which was lying in the bottom shelf. I gulped the booze down hurriedly, feeling the liquid sting my throat. I realized I had gulped down nearly half the bottle and forced myself to stop. The last thing I needed was to get drunk.

With the vodka having somewhat calmed my nerves, I walked back into the living room and flopped onto the huge white couch. Grabbing my phone with shaky fingers, I dialled Jane's number.

After what felt like years, but in reality had to have been not more than thirty seconds, she answered.

"Hello?" I croaked in a voice even I had trouble recognising as my own.

"Gabby, sweetie, you sound weird. Are you all right? I am so, so sorry honey," said Jane, sounding like she too had been crying for quite some time. There was an uncomfortable silence for a long time, during which I gathered energy to speak.

"J-Jane... h-how?..." I finally choked.

" She had a massive heart attack, according to the doctor. I had dropped in earlier in the evening with the groceries she had asked me to bring along and used my key when nobody answered for a long time. I found her on the kitchen floor, lying amidst broken pieces of porcelain and flour she must have been holding onto when she collapsed. She was already dead by the time I rushed her into the hospital. I am sorry," she once again said, her voice breaking a little towards the end.

"Oh my God, Jane. I am going crazy right now. My mother's dead and I have NO clue what to do next," I gushed, trying to speak and sob at the same time (and, succeeding), "I bawled my eyes out on National TV less than an hour ago, my career's ruined and am now an orphan. HELP ME!" I sob- yelled the last part.

I could hear Jane take in a sharp breath, obviously freaked out by my reaction, and felt a pang of pity for her. But I couldn't help it. I needed someone to pull me out of this sea of depression I could feel myself drowning in.

"Look, sweetie, I can't make the huge decisions for you. But I feel what you need to do is head back home for a bit. Consider your options," Jane said soothingly.

I tried to think of something. I mean, I needed a plan. And then I realised that Jane was right. I mean, mom just died. My career pretty much ended. I had some huge decisions to make. And I badly wanted out. 

Feeling a sudden desperation take control of me, I said," You're right. I'll be there in the morning."

"Let's not be hasty. Why not-" Jane started, but I cut her off. 

"Look, Jane, I promise I won't be hasty. But right now, I feel lonely. And you know how I have always hated being alone. Right now, I need to see you. And I have every right to be at my mother's funeral. I know our relationship had been strained, to say the least. But you know what I mean. So, I'll see you in the morning," I said with an air of finalty. 

"Okay. Drive safe," Jane sighed finally.

And just like that, after ten years, I was going back home.