Chapter 6

'Calm Down!' I instructed myself for the millionth time as I paced my living room, biting away at my blood red, and fake, fingernails vigorously. I was waiting for Kate to arrive and obviously, wasn't exactly having the time of my life. The fact that I had on my oldest, greyest and rattiest bra didn't exactly do wonders for my self-confidence either. 

I undid and retied my hair into a ponytail yet again, wanting to keep my hands occupied. Last night was a blurred image of chocolates and booze, not that I was anxious to remember it, of course. Most of it had been spent sprawled on my huge white sofa with a bottle of my trusty Absolut in one hand and a box of chocolates on the floor, listening to Pink Floyd and Kurt Cobain on full volume. 

The result was that this morning, I resembled a homeless person, the kind that you certainly give something to, but who manages to completely creep you out on your way to work early in the morning.

Although I knew that what Kate was going to reveal was going to be the exact opposite of pretty, but since I was on a semi-endorphin-rush brought about by my nocturnal chocolate consumption, I couldn't stop myself from hoping that maybe I would not end up unemployed in the next few hours.

I took a deep breath and flopped onto the couch, trying to make myself concentrate on the old Friends episode that was quietly playing on the Plasma. But somehow, even the sight of Joey, with his head wrapped in bubble wrap, did not cheer me up.

'Calm the fuck down, Gabby!'

I cursed angrily as I stubbed my toe against the sofa's edge as I resumed my pacing, giving up on the Friends episode. I made my way into the kitchen and quickly busied myself, deciding to make myself a cup of coffee.

I had barely managed to take one sip when I heard the doorbell ring.

'Here goes nothing' I thought as I set my mug on the table and inched towards the door as slowly as I could. I opened the door and found myself staring at a grumpy Kate, which was a sight that somehow made my inner model self squirmy and made me want to curl up and hide somewhere. I could see that her blonde bob was as neat as ever, with not a single hair out of place, and she had on a pair of dangerous-looking black pumps with pointy heels that looked like they clicked menacingly whenever she walked. She was wearing high-heeled pumps, damn it, when everything outside was cold and white and snowy. Who the hell does that? Looking at her, I almost winced as I mentally analysed my current attire. I probably should have changed out of my grey and pink sweats, but last night, I realised they were too comfy to bother getting out of and after scolding myself this morning for thinking like a menopausal- forty- year old  for a bit, I had ended up keeping them on.

I squared my shoulders and silently stepped aside to let her in, and crossed my fingers behind my back.

'Calm down!' I instructed myself one last time as I clicked the door shut.

"What the hell happened? You have to tell me everything, Gabby. You know that," Kate demanded as she made herself comfortable on my couch, not bothering with polite greetings. I sighed, giving in, and launched into a description of all that had happened during the last few days. She listened in complete silence, her face professional and expressionless, as usual.

Finally, when I was done, I took an elaborately deep breath and slumped down on the couch beside her. 

"Very well. While I feel sorry for you, I must tell you that the little stunt you pulled off on the runway obviously didn't go unnoticed. You have lost the Amor'e account, but you already know that. You also know that you have precisely ten days left to vacate this apartment. But, I am afraid there's more," Kate finally said, shifting to look at me.