Chapter 1

Adriana

I don't know why I do it, but I do.

Oh who am I kidding. I know why I do and I'm obviously good at it. With the amount of things I've stolen I live pretty comfortably.

No one can even stop me because no one's there. That's the way I like it and that's the way it will stay. I don't need anyone, never have, never will.

People are like weights. They like dragging you down and if you aren't strong enough to push these weights off you, you fall. And then you don't get up again.

You may ask me why I steal. Why don't I have a real job? And to that I say you're right. Do I care? No.

Right now I'm walking down the streets. There is a light spitter of rain just splashing repetitively on the ground. Creating a distant thrum to fill the space around me.

I look to my right and see an old lady on the phone seeming to be screaming at the poor person on the other end of the line.

I wonder what they look like right now. Scared? Probably.

Maybe I should help. I don't see why not especially after I see the familiar glint of jewellery on her wrist.

Even on the dull cast of the sky it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I begin to make my way to the woman keeping my head down. I swiftly bump into her before mumbling a quick "Sorry."

"Look where you are going. Hey! Come back here girl." She screams producing a loud echo in the empty street.

I just quicken my pace until I eventually turn a corner. I take this as an opportunity to take a look at the jewellery in more detail. It's a watch, all gold with small diamonds encrusted and embedded around the face.

I cant help but scream in delight as I do a little happy dance. I'm not even sure if I'll sell this again, that's how much of a beauty it is.

The sound of a throat being cleared makes me freeze. I look up feeling my heart rate quicken. She couldn't have called the police, and they couldn't have come here so fast.

I relax a fraction when I realise it's an unfamiliar man.

I cant help but almost drool as I stare into his hazel eyes. His chiselled jaw and warm skin inviting me closer to him, away from the cold.

I put on a confident facade as I say "Can I help you?" All the while slipping the watch discreetly onto my wrist.

"Yes you can. I was wondering if that lady knew you took her watch?" He smirks, humour swirling in his eyes.

My breath hitches as he takes a step forward. "Well obviously not," I reply quickly, inwardly cursing myself for not speaking more confidently.

I clear my throat, "Now if you'll excuse me." I say trying to get out of his reach. Every step away from him he takes a step closer to me.

I'm eventually backed against a building, he closes off the distance placing his hands on my waist.

His face is practically flat against mine. His warm breath tickling my cheek as I turn my head away from him.

All I can think about is how if I turned my face our lips would touch. I close my eyes taking a deep breath.

"What do you want?" I say gritting my teeth still looking to the side.

"You." He whispers his mouth against my neck.

Goosebumps spread throughout my body, as I shiver from his close contact.

I couldn't deny the man was attractive and every part of me except my brain was telling me to kiss him.

So I did.

Or I thought I did. As soon as my face turned and my eyes closed the brief feeling of his lips disappeared.

I frowned as I opened my eyes looking for him, only to be met with his figure walking away.

What the hell?

I scratch my head in part confusion, part embarrassment. I straighten my body to a full standing position away from the wall.

I realise waiting hear is more humiliating so I start to head back to the Main Street.

I notice that I feel lighter. Not mentally but physically. My pockets feel lighter.

I had stolen a few things just hours before so to not feel them made my eyebrows furrow in confusion.

I swiftly reach into the pockets of my hoodie only to find them empty.

I mumble a curse as I move onto my jeans, empty.

Son of a bitch. He did not. Did he?

I'm in my last pocket when I find a small crumpled piece of paper. I narrow my eyes as this is definitely not mine.

I open it reading a small note. "Stealing is bad. Enjoy my number instead;)" I groan in frustration as I reach for my phone to call his number. Hoping, that I'll be able to give him a piece of my mind, maybe throwing in a couple profanities.

When I see he took my phone a burning anger seeps through my body like the blood in my veins.

At this point if I ever see this man again, I'm stealing everything he's got.