Chapter 6

Adriana

I squint my eyes as I wake up, trying to adjust to the beaming rays of sun peering through the open curtains.

When did I open those?

"You must eat breakfast dear." A sweet, but unfamiliar voice says.

My heart rate quickens as I look around the room for the source of the voice. Only when I focus on a small lady placing clothes and fresh towels at the end of the bed do I relax.

"Im sorry. But who are you?" I ask.

"Ugh. Typical Ares. Always forgetting to mention me to pretty girls like you." She rolls her eyes.

"I'm Carla." She smiles.

"Adriana." I say, returning the smile.

"How long have you known him?" I smile, interested.

"Oh ever since he was a sweet little boy." She beams

"He was.. sweet?" I laugh in disbelief. Making a mental note to taunt him about Carlas kind words.

"Oh yes very, wouldn't hurt a fly." She explains happily.

She pauses for a moment, contemplating her next words.

"I don't like how he's turned out however." She sighs. 

"But it's not his fault. When his parents died when he was 8, it changed him, and it didn't help that he was the mafia heir after his father. He was thrown into a cruel world at a young age."

"What?" I murmur, my happy mood disappearing.

"Speak up dear. No-one like mumblers." Carla sternly says, her maternal side obviously showing.

"Uhh," I shake my head. "He's a mafia leader? I- I didn't know that." I say louder.

But when I think about it, it makes sense. His fighting skills, language skills, money, owning this whole apartment, his office I wasn't allowed to enter.

"Hmm. Why are you here then, he never brings girls here if not to work for his mafia." She questions.

"Oh well dear. I must get going. The foods in the kitchen, don't let it get cold." 

I watch in silence as Carla grabs some cleaning supplies and finally leaves the room, gently closing the door.

I turn to face my pillow and shove my head in it, releasing a hopefully muffled scream.

I scream until I feel a burn in my chest, until my lungs are begging for air and I have to leave the comfort of the suffocating darkness it provides.

 I'm not one to cry at any minor inconvenience, but I cant help the rogue tear that falls down my face and off my jaw, landing somewhere on my lap. I cover my mouth to stop any cries, but the heavy feeling of impending doom won't stop occupying my mind.

I pull my legs to my chest and bury my head in-between my knees.

How could I be so stupid? 

I understand that I've stolen before. But I never expected to get involved with the mafia. I've heard the horror stories others have experienced, I never thought that I would have to.

And here I am, right in the center of danger.

He's going to kill me isn't he. Torture me. I cringe at the thought.

This is not good. This is my nightmare. After what happened to my parents. Im going to end up just like them. I promised myself I wouldn't. I would steal small. I just had to get cocky.

Why would I come here? I knew something was suspicious with him. I had a feeling, and I didn't listen to it.

My head shoots up to the direction of the door as a loud, and heavy knock echoes.

I take a deep breath. It's him. Get it together Adriana, you can do this.

"Come in." I shout.