Chapter 4

Adriana

In the car it's silent. I can tell Ares is dead set on figuring out why the men showed up at the club. I can feel the anger radiating off him as he shouts through his phone.

"You know you can breath right?" I chuckle, looking at him through the corner of my eye as I stare at passing cars.

He simply ignores me. "Rude." I whisper under my breath.

Within seconds he's back to angrily speaking on the phone. I raise my eyebrows and turn to face him as I realise he's switched languages.

He's done it so effortlessly I almost didn't notice. To add onto that I notice he's speaking Italian. His English doesn't have a trace of an accent, so hearing him speak Italian so well made even my linguistic skills feel small.

I'm not sure if he realises I can understand some of the basics of Italian. However the speed and emotion surging through his words makes a beginner like me hear gibberish, proving my years of high school learning to be useless.

I scoff at the the thought of high school. Years of trauma that I really shouldn't be thinking of right now.

I grab my phone to check the time. I wince as I look at the numbers on the screen.

'1:18am'

Almost as if a switch has been turned on, a wave of exhaustion covers me like clouds on a rainy day.

It's not long before my eyes begin fluttering, trying to fight against my weariness but to no avail.

I think this night events are finally catching up to me.

I yawn before rolling onto my side, accepting defeat. I inhale deeply, exhaling everything that's happened today.

I let my mind run clear of negative thoughts from the night, filling it with my top books that bring me comfort.

A small content smile appears on my face as I forget all of my and the worlds problems. This short bliss definitely being my nights highlight.

Only seconds later, do I feel something cover me. It doesn't take rocket science to realise that it was Ares. With what? I don't know. A blanket? No, he doesn't have one in the car. His jacket? Maybe.

I peak my eyes open, trying not to grab the attention of Ares.

Trying to stay as still as possible I glance briefly down at my covered arms and chest, then at Ares.

I can't help but smirk when I realise that his suit jacket is delicately placed on me.

I also manage to spare a couple of seconds to memorise his side profile as he stays focused on the road.

The smirk dissipates as fast as it came when Ares turns to look at me, after ending his call.

I cough nervously, hoping to cause I distraction from the very facial expression that's now on his face.

"What?" I ask, suddenly annoyed at his smug look.

"You were checking me out." he grins proudly.

"Was not." I scoff in disbelief.

"Believe it or not, not everyone finds you attractive." I add.

"But you do," he smirks in pride.

Feeling defeated at his response that we both know is true, I resort to staring back out the window.

Leaving my fatigue to be sorted for a later time.

Speaking of which.

"When are we going to be there?" I can't help but groan like a child.

"Now." he says, causing me to sit up right.

My eyes widen as I stare open mouthed at the grand building he just expertly parked in front of.

"This is your apartment?" I whisper shocked.

"Yes. Are you coming?" he questions already moving out the car and to the buildings doors.

I swiftly grab my little belongings and follow him as fast as possible given my footwear.

As he's obviously incapable of opening and closing doors himself, a man is ready and waiting to do just that.

Without so much as a glance Ares walks in, taking big strides across the room.

I furrow my eyebrows at his blatant disrespect and disregard for others.

"Thank you," I smile to the man as I walk in, still desperately trying not to lose Ares with his pace.

I just manage to fit into the elevator, as the doors begin to close.

"Which floor is your apartment?" I ask, trying to start a small conversation in hopes of ending the silence.

"Whichever one I want." he reply's.

I pause for a moment, wondering if this was his version of joke.

Would it be less awkward if I laughed at it?

He seems to realise my delayed response.

"I own the building Adriana." He says slowly.

"Oh. So you have others living here paying rent." I wonder aloud.

"No. I own the building for me. No one apart from me lives here." he corrects.

"Right. But why do you waste all the other apartments?" I mention.

"I don't. Each floor has a purpose. I have a sort of business, one that requires people. The people spend time here." he confirms.

"I'm still lost." you mumble.

"It doesn't matter at the moment." he dismisses, stopping the conversation.

'You're going to stay on the top floor with me." he states.

"But you just said you own the building?" I retort.

"So? I can protect you better when you're with me. Come on." He says, leaving the elevator.

"Fine." I murmur, following him like a lost puppy.

I may not be dead yet, but my dignity is.