the time at the restaurant

In two days, Arthur and Arabella are yet to text or call each other. They've wanted to, of course, but he remains too shy and she'll always be stubborn.

That's not important, though. What matters is the fact their phones now contain each other's numbers and, even better, they'll be seeing each other tonight. Like, an actual planned meet-up. (Or, as most people would call it, a date.)

Just because she's not texting Arthur, it doesn't mean Arabella's phone is dead. In fact, it buzzes just as she's picking up her curling wand.

Rebecca: hey what u up to tonight? x
Arabella: i got myself a date ;)
Rebecca: OMG who?? do i know them?? x
Arabella: remember the cute guy in goal at that hockey game? x
Rebecca: you're going out with Morgenstern?? wow have fun and tell me all the details! x

Meanwhile, Arabella isn't the only one with friends invested in her date. In a house similar to her own, less than a kilometre away, Arthur is in his bedroom with Brynn.

"What jacket should I wear?" he asks, holding up two jackets, one leather and one denim, to his chest.

Brynn tilts her head to the side, pondering. "Leather. It gives off a sort-of badass vibe and girls love a bad boy... or so I'm told."

Arthur snorts. "Yeah, because clearly I'm a total badass. I mean, it only took me like eight attempts to muster the courage to ask her out."

Unlike Arabella, who at that very moment is frantically attempting to curl her hair and apply mascara simultaneously, Arthur has to do very little to get ready. He runs a hand through his slightly damp hair, the dark gold wisps already beginning to curl as they dry from his shower, and sprays a dash of aftershave and then he's set.

Or, at least, his appearance is ready. Of course, because this is Arthur, his nerves are all over the place.

"What if she doesn't like me?" he says, chewing on his bottom lip.

Brynn rolls her eyes and for a moment it reminds him of Arabella, causing his stomach to somersault.

"God, Arthur, you're so lame," she scoffs. "Obviously she likes you! Do you not remember how relieved she was when she found out we weren't actually dating?"

He laughs as Brynn mimes gagging. After he'd told her what Arabella had said that time in the bar, Brynn had been hysterical for about five minutes straight.

"I still can't believe she thought that!" she exclaims. "I don't even like boys, let alone you!"

Arthur feigns offence. "Are you saying you wouldn't want to go out with this?" He elaborates with a gesture to his body. Brynn stands up from where she's sprawled on his bed and shoves his shoulder.

"You're such a dork, sometimes I do wonder what someone as hot as Arabella sees in you." She glances at her watch. "But you better get going or you'll be late, and that is not the kind of first impression you want to be making."

As he stares out the window of the passenger side of Brynn's car, Arthur thinks about that. Because really, this isn't going to be Arabella's first impression of him at all, not even close.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up," Arabella murmurs under her breath.

This is her third attempt to call Catarina, and if she doesn't answer this time then she might just scream.

At last, the dial tone cuts off with a "Hey!" from somebody whose voice has a heavy Southern accent - definitely not Catarina.

"Um, is Cat there?" Arabella asks.