The Beach

We stood there for at least three seconds staring at the view. I walk along the top of the beach, where the sand meets the grass.
I see one man in a British uniform burying someone, all that was left what his feet.
When the man finished, we picked himself up and walked past me with a cold glance.
Many have already died from the constant pressure of the Germans. Our perimeter is shrinking every day.

I find my squad talking in circle by one of the long lines.
"We're good in this line." said Adam.
My helmet is starting to feel heavy. The beach smells like corpses and BO. The stench from all the sweaty soldiers was especially unbearable.

We have been standing here for 35 minutes now. The boat that was docked at the wooden bridge that stuck out to the ocean was still there. No boats have come to shore to pick up the troopers at the beach.
"Where are all the boats that we're here for?!" yells Daniel.
"Calm down, Daniel." I say, "They'll be here."
"No they won't! At this rate, we'll all be dead by the time we get one rowboat to this beach!"
yells Daniel again.
"They will come for us." I try to calm him down, "Now calm down, everyone is staring at you now."
Daniel didn't listen to a thing I said, "We will all be dead! They won't be coming for at least a couple of hours it seems! They will..."
Daniel is interrupted by a roaring sound.
Everyone on the beach looks up, three gray airplanes with the Luftwaffe symbol on both sides of the wings come flying right at us.

The sound gets louder and louder. We eventually hear a screaming sound as the planes get closer. Everyone begins to run, then jump on their stomachs and put their hands their heads.
Some try to shoot back with the Messerschmitts.
When they come into range, the bombs drop onto us.
I close my eyes with my face to ground. All I could do is hope they won't hit me.
I count the number of times the ground shakes. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven. Then it stops, and the planes are gone.