Chapter Three - Boys, Boys, Boys

Not wanting to ride around the neighborhood in my trailer - because that would be just weird, I headed in search for dinner on foot. Besides, I was curious to get to know my neck of the woods.

I wandered the streets, filled with the laughter of the vendors and passers-by, as I admired the colorful displays of little shops. Cars rushed by on the road, its frustrated drivers piercing the air with angry honks, but it did nothing to the relaxing atmosphere that ruled on the broad sidewalk. I took a deep breath and the smell of popcorns filled my nose, making my stomach growl.

This was the best way to get to know a city. Every place I've been to had a different feel, no matter how similar the buildings and streets looked. It was no different with Chicago. Today I got a peek of its soul and I felt like it welcomed me with open arms.

About ten minutes from my building I found a cozy pizzeria buzzing with people so I assumed it had good stuff. The warm breeze hit me with a heavenly smell of yummy flavours and made a decision for me. I went to the back of the line which was so long that I hadn't even made it inside. Current pop hits blasted from the wall speakers, adding to the excitement as people chatted with their friends.

The girl in front of me wore beautiful brown leather boots and I wondered if she had bought them somewhere around here. She and her much taller friend gossiped about their boyfriends - it just took me a while to figure out that that was what they were talking about.

"The dock is all ready to go, believe me, ain't nothing wrong with my dock - the brother just won't park his boat!" short girl with cute afro and boots I had admired exclaimed in frustration.

"Maybe he has a problem with his engine," offered a blonde with jeans and a cut off shirt that showed her red bra.

"He parked it just fine in Alicia's lot," short one mumbled. "Maybe it's me."

The blonde scowled. "Please, Alicia has international waters - there ain't a boat that hasn't been there. He knows your lot is expensive so he keeps his boat in check."

"I guess," short one grumbled, clearly not convinced.

Words escaped me before I could help it. "Or he's British."

Short one gasped, turning to me. "You think?"

"What do you mean British?" questioned the blonde looking at me sideways with scrutiny.

"You know, maybe he drives his boat on the other side of the river," I said.

Her eyes lit up and she nodded excitedly, now completely turning towards me as if I had passed the test. "You might have a point there. Happened to me once."

"What did you do?" short one wanted to know. "How did you find out?"

The blonde shrugged, her shirt falling off her shoulder. "I caught my neighbor parking it in his dock."

"Damn," short one cursed, stomping her foot. "This one is my neighbor. I barely found him, how am I gonna find another one just to see if he'll park it in his lot?"

The older man in a sharp business suit in front of us turned around and gave us a weird look.

"Hey, maybe we're just overreacting. You know how us girls are," I tried to comfort her. "How long have you been dating?"

"Five months."

My jaw hit the floor and her face dropped. "I knew it - my boyfriend is gay!"

Now the lady behind us gasped and covered her little boy's ears, giving us a glare.

"No, no," I hurried to rectify my mistake. "That doesn't mean anything."

"Maybe we could come up with some tests to see which way his boat floats," the blonde offered.