Epilogue

Brisk weather and a rooftop down ride didn't exactly go hand in hand, but that didn't stop me. I didn't mind the howling wind or even my own shivers. I welcomed the chill air with full lungs and the goosebumps on my exposed arms. I cherished the moment, celebrating that I was driving my dream car.

After being on the brink of death, nothing was stopping me from pursuing my dreams and living life to the fullest. Lana, having a medical background, labeled it as a near-death euphoria. It basically meant I became a walking-talking-supply-of-inspirational-quotes.

Bobbing my head to the catchy beat of the music blasting from the radio, I pulled up to the curb. I caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection of a cafe's window as I got out of my teal beauty. With black aviators and a black beanie hanging low on my head I looked like I was about to rob the place.

I turned my back on that sorry version of myself and walked into the cramped cafe, appreciating the shelter from the wind that it offered. Tanya waved from the corner booth and I smiled as I made my way towards her and Louise.

"Are you on the run or are you just ashamed to be seen with us now that you're a big shot reporter?" Louise teased and I noticed the newspapers on the table. They were reading my article.

I rolled my eyes, sliding in the seat across from them. "I'm avoiding the stares." I lifted my sunglasses to give them a peek of the ugly yellow and purple bruises around my eye.

"Ouch," Tanya said at the same time Louise hissed.

I put the glasses back and shrugged. "It doesn't hurt that much anymore."

"And what's up with the hat?" Tanya asked.

I took off my beanie and both of them recoiled back, gasping. "Thanks, guys," I muttered, hiding my hair again.

I couldn't blame them though. I sobbed like a spoiled toddler when I saw what had left of my once waist long, beautiful hair. Most of it was now shoulder length, but some pieces were even shorter and I still had a few long ones. I had one single teal strand left that stood out like a sore thumb. I looked like one of my old Barbie dolls after the makeover I'd put them through. This was definitely karma.

"Oh, honey," Tanya cooed. She reached over and put her hand over mine. "We'll get you a hairdresser, don't worry."

Louise nodded, snatching her phone. "Pronto."

"Who's that?" Tanya asked. "Is he any good?"

I chuckled. "I'm really glad I met you guys."

Tanya squinted at me as Louise ranted on the phone. "You're not gonna cry, are you?"

I laughed. "No, I'm all out of tears. I am, however, going to steal your drink."

Tanya smiled and pushed her blue cocktail towards me. "What's mine is yours."

"Thanks." I tossed the straw out and finished the drink in a couple of gulps. The alcohol burned my throat and warmed my blood. When I slammed the glass down I found Tanya staring at me. "What?"

"I'm just glad you're okay," she said, tears gathering in her eyes. She blinked them away rapidly and tapped the newspapers. "And I'm really proud of you. That's some great writing."

I gave her a shaky smile and our hands found each other. She gripped my hands and I returned the gesture.

Funny how things turned out. Just a week ago, my life flashed before my eyes. All my dreams seemed lost then and now I had my whole future ahead of me. I got the job I wanted with a front page story that left my editor speechless. And when Eddie Goldberg found the words, he raved about it and offered me the job immediately.