22 | sixth year

"Without his presence at her side."

22 | sixth year

As Malia—joined by Barty—stepped onto platform nine and three-quarters on September 1st, 1976, she knew things had changed. There was an air of fear around the platform as parents hurried their kids onto the train before leaving like they were scared of being there too long.

Mr Crouch had dropped them off at the platform, he'd immediately left without so much as a 'goodbye'. The two sixth-years moved along the platform, searching for their two friends as others rushed around them. Their luggage was taken by one of the conductors to be put with the rest.

It was evident to anyone that Malia and Barty had changed over the summer. Her hair was now above shoulder length and she wore makeup to hide the shadows under her eyes. He was taller and instead of cutting it, he'd grown his hair so that it rested just over his ears. The pressure of the war was clear in their eyes, there was no need to search for it.

The two of them didn't find their friends on the platform and decided to grab a compartment in one of the end carriages. While they passed through the corridors, Malia caught the eye of her blood brother but quickly looked away as to hide her tiredness from him. James continued to look after her but she needn't see him to know that.

When the train began to move, Regulus and Narcissa entered the compartment at last. They both looked worse for wear than either Barty or Malia did, and it was plain to see that their families were deeply involved in the war.

Regulus' eyes had the same shadows beneath them that Malia's did, but they glimmered slightly with a concealment charm, showing to be a lot lighter than they truly were. He'd grown over the summer too, taller and wider in the shoulders, but still seeming small by his quiet demeanour.

Narcissa looked as regal as ever to anyone else, but her friends could spot the differences. Her grey eyes were heavy with burden and fatigue, causing her skin to look paler than normal and movements to be slower by a fraction. She had not grown taller, but had developed curves through the summer, attracting passersby's gazes.

There was a quick round of hugs and greetings as Malia and Narcissa held onto each other tightly, not wanting to let go for fear of one slipping away. It did not last long as Regulus and Malia—still being Prefects—had a meeting to attend. Together they departed from the small compartment and the taller boy led the way to the Prefects carriage.

Malia started noticing, as they walked in silence, the little movements Regulus made to his left forearm. It was covered by his white sleeve but he held it close to his side, every now and then, he reach to scratch it. He did not repeat the movements for the other arm. With a horrible jolt of realisation, Malia's heart sunk and throat dried, but she said nothing as they neared the door.

All throughout the meeting, Malia did her best to ignore her former best friend—Lily Evans—and Remus Lupin, as they stared after her and Regulus with worrying eyes. They were no doubt sent by James and Sirius to check on them. Both of them noticed the way that Malia's eyes flicked almost dutifully to Regulus' arm, and how he would subconsciously rub it now and them.

When they'd been dismissed by the Head Boy and Girl, Malia grabbed her friend's right wrist and started pulling him towards the door, hoping to escape before Lily and Remus caught them—to no avail. The scarred boy and the girl with red hair stopped them before Malia had her fingers on the handle.

Malia's lips formed into a tight line, "Lupin, Evans, what can I do for you?"

Lily's eyes flicked between the two Slytherins, studying them, "Just checking in, how are you? Nice summer?"

Regulus avoided hers and Remus' eyes, he stood stock still.

Malia refrained from rolling her eyes, "Don't pretend like you care, I know James sent you. Never thought I'd see the day you'd actually do something for him."

Lily's cheeks flushed. The two Slytherins didn't stick around as they pushed through the Gryffindors and out of the prefect's carriage. They walked in silence until they passed an empty compartment, to which Malia pulled Regulus by his right arm into.

"Show me," she ordered, looking from his arm to his eyes.

Regulus winced, "I'm sorry." He pulled up his crisp white sleeve to reveal a dark tattoo in the form of a snake and skull.

Malia stared at it for a long moment, fingers gently brushing over it, before asking without lifting her eyes to meet his, "Why?"

"I had no choice," his voice wavered, "Please, you have to believe me."

She lifted her eyes back up to his, "I'll always believe you..." she reassured him.

Sorry, it's been like a month! This was my last pre-written chapter, so the next one might take a little time to publish

Sorry, it's been like a month! This was my last pre-written chapter, so the next one might take a little time to publish. Thanks for your patience :)