Owl Nebula (M97)

Ms. Owl, who lived in the cedar tree by the rock that looked like a frog, never missed. She would hunt at night and stayed happy and plump, she never missed an opportunity, appointment, or meal. And she never missed a chance to taunt Ms. Rattlesnake.

She didn't tease her about her legglessness or her one-toned rattle but she did take great delight in stealing her prey. You see, they both loved mice the most. No other creature was as plump or flavorful. At least once a week, Ms. Snake would be poised in the bushes, eyeing a fine meal, and right before she could strike a WOOOOOOSH from behind her and the massive shape of Ms. Barn Owl's mighty wings would snatch up the little rodent. It would happen at least once a week: Ms. Snake on the precipice of a tasty morsel and Ms. Owl plunging down from the stars like terror incarnate. And the worst part was, thought Ms. Snake, is that she would eat it right there and then (as if it wasn't insulting enough) she would talk to her.

"Hi Ms. Snake, how is your night going?

Caught anything yet?

Oh I wasn't sure if you wanted that mouse, it had been so long just sitting out there.

Your scales look nice, did you shed recently?"

The nerve of that owl, Ms. Snake thought, I've got to get ahead of her once and for all.

So that night Ms. Snake slithered under her rock by the cave and came up with a devious plan.

The very next evening Ms. Snake went to the cedar tree by the rock that looked like a frog and called up to Ms. Owl, "Good evening Ms. Owl, I found these bracelets. They looked like something you would wear."

The bracelets were silver and plentiful so they jingled and tinkled at the slightest movement.

"Oh those aren't mine," She said.

"Oh no worries then, I just found them. But perhaps you should keep them, because they look like something you wear." Ms. Snake said, laying them on a rock and slithering off.

Excellent, thought Ms. Snake, there's no way she'll be rude enough to refuse a gift. Now, I'll always hear her before she can steal my mice. It's the perfect trick.

Later that night, Ms. Snake was slithering home after an O-K night of hunting when Ms. Owl dropped down in front of her...soundlessly.

"Ms. Snake I just wanted to thank you for the bracelets, they're lovely" She said and Ms. Snake saw the many bracelets had been held together by tree sap. "And" She continued, " I picked up an extra mouse for you, to say thank you."

"Thank you" Ms. Snake huffed and slithered inside. She ate the mouse. Unfortunately, it was delicious. Her plan didn't work, and now Ms. Owl was giving her pity mice with her nice and shiny talons. Disgusting.

One week and one stolen meal later snake devised her second plan, Ms. Snake went to the cedar tree by the rock that looked like a frog and called up to Ms. Owl, "good evening Ms. Owl, I was gifted with this lavender perfume but have no need for it. I'll leave it here for you." And she slithered away.

That night Ms. Snake smelled lavender all night but never saw Ms. Owl, likely because she had been hunting faster than ever before. When she slithered home there was a dead mouse and a thank you note by her rock. Outrageous.

One week and another stolen mouse later, Ms. Snake decided she needed something foolproof to keep Ms. Owl away from her precious mice.

The next evening, Ms. Snake went to the cedar tree by the rock that looked like a frog and called up to Ms. Owl, "Good evening Ms. Owl, I thought of you the other night and grabbed you this trinket you might like." Snake had with her a string of stars, they glowed and shimmered marvelously. Snake left them on a rock and slithered away before Ms. Owl could say anything.

Now, she thought, I'll always be able to see where she is. In case she tries to steal my mice again, which I hate, especially when she stays to talk. Aweful.

That night Ms. Snake saw Ms. Owl high above all night long. She looked like shooting stars and left a wake of sweet lavender. All this said, everyone else could see her too and they took shelter through the night. After hours of searching for prey Ms. Owl and Ms Snake grew bored. They sat on a flat rock with soft moss and talked under the stars.

One week and no meals later, Ms. Owl went to the rock by the cave and called down to Ms. Snake, "Good evening Ms. Snake, I was hoping I might be able to talk to you."

Ms. Snake slithered out, rather surprised to see Ms Owl at her home, and said, "Yes of course, what do you need?"

"You see, I love these things you've given me, but the animals can hear me, smell me, and see me before I can swoop in. I won't be wearing them to hunt anymore."

"Oh." Said Ms. Snake.

"But, Ms. Rattle Snake, if you'd like to join me at the flat rock with soft moss when you've caught your food tonight I'd like that very much."

"Oh wow. I would like that as well," said Ms. Snake.

Ms. Owl, who lived in the cedar tree by the rock that looked like a frog, never missed. She was on time for every meal, opportunity, and evening with Ms. Snake. After she caught two dinners she would meet Ms. Snake, who lived under the rock by the cave, and they would stay together until sunrise.

It is said the cosmos are a mirror of the earth below. Ms. Snake and Ms. Owl stayed together their whole lives and soon their faces appeared in the sky. Ever so dimly one can look in a looking glass and fin Ms. Owls round face and the serpentine path of Ms. Snake.