Chapter 3: Tom's letter

That night, Tom got home in his truck, and had to shoo some racoons off of the trash cans before walking inside and hanging his equipment belt on a small door side hook.

"Maddie, as the most respected veterinarian in Green Hills, what would you say is the fastest humane way to exterminate a racoon problem?" Tom asked as Ozzie walked up and barked. "Hey, Ozzie."

Maddie walked into view as Ozzie walked off, Maddie holding an envelope.

"Is that what I think it is?" Tom asked

"Mhm. Came in at 4:00 PM." Maddie replied handing him the letter

Tom looked at the size of the letter and said, "It's kinda small, is that bad?"

"Just hurry up and open it." Maddie said, excited

Tom opens the letter and read it out loud.

"Dear Thomas Michael Wachowski, we have reviewed your application to the San Francisco Police Department and while we are now pending an inter-departmental review and a background check, we are pleased to inform you have been accepted to join our team." Tom read out loud. "Wow!"

Maddie hugged Tom, excited and pleased the application got accepted. That's when Tom noticed an apartment rental website.

"What's this?" Tom asked

"Just some apartments for rent I found on Zillow." Maddie answers. "Ozzie and I were gonna head down to San Francisco and check out a few neighborhoods."

"I see." Tom replies

"Oh! That reminds me!" Maddie said, rushing to the kitchen and coming back with a cake box before she opens it. "Ta-da!"

Tom looked at the cake with a smile and said, "Never had a doubt, huh?"

"Of course not." Maddie said with a smile

Tom took a deep breath as he sat down.

"Is something bothering you?" Maddie asked

"It's just that all of this is happening so fast." Tom replied

"Tom Arc-Rose, what did you do that entire tie I was in veterinary school?" Maddie asked

"I worked a second job to pay the rent and a-" Tom starts

"A third job to pay the bills and take care of the house." Maddie finishes. "You sacrificed for me, I am absolutely happy to sacrifice for you. Are you sure you are okay with this whole thing? There's always been at least one Wachowski protecting this town for over 50 years. This is a big change."

After some silence, Tom stood up and said, "I'm sure of it. I love Green Hills and the citizens, but it's time I get out there and prove myself. I want someone else to turn to me in a life or death situation and i'd be there for them."

The next day, next to the 'Welcome to Green Hills' sign, Tom was practicing his goodbye speech.

"It has been a hard tie for me to say this, but I have been gifted a position at the San Francisco Police Department. Effective immediately. It'll be tough to leave this little town and all my heartships." Tom stated. "But I must do it in order to grow as both an officer, and as a man."

Tom smiled a little, having practiced the speech with a doughnut he named Sgt. Sprinkles.

"What do ya think, Sgt. Sprinkles? That wasn't so bad, right?" Tom asked in a joking manner. "Now all I gotta do is tell everyone who isn't a doughnut."