𝟐

Chapter Playlist:
"Emotional Rollercoaster" by Vivian Green
• "I'm Not OK" by H.E.R

12:07pm | June 27th 2022

As I was opening the box to start setting up my bed I started to hear my phone vibrate.

I opened my phone to see my two childhood friends blowing up the group chat we had. I didn't really talk to them as much as I did in middle and high school now. During my senior year of high school, I ended up drifting away from them. Certain things just weren't the same anymore.

Brent: 'Why tf didn't you tell us that you had your own place hello????'

Kayla: 'So you just weren't gonna tell anybody...but congrats ig'

Brent: 'Who you moved in with? Cause I know you didn't just get a place by yourself.'

I took a deep breath looking up from my phone. It was very hard to detach from them. We all have been through so much together and they both have helped me countless times.

Brent is the oldest one in our 'group'. He graduated a year before us. He's really aggressive and overprotective especially with his friends. On the flip side, he has been through a lot of stuff in his childhood with the way his parents treated him. That story is too deep to get into though.

A lot of times he feels like people are obligated to do what he says to prove the value of their friendship. We've bumped heads plenty of times before but I'm a very forgiving person. Once I feel like somebody or something has changed I just give it another chance without thinking. Especially if the person has done something for me.

Kayla on the other hand I knew since 6th grade. We were extremely close but her issue is she doesn't know how to communicate when there's a problem. She literally doesn't say anything at all and just gives people the silent treatment. On the other hand, we've had a lot of really nice moments and she knows how to make somebody happy. Being able to connect to somebody that's sad though. Not her best skill.

When the end of senior year came around and I was getting ready to move to Atlanta, they started to seem like they changed. Which of course made me feel bad for not talking to them as much. Before I left, I made a promise to keep in contact with them no matter how far or how close.

Here I am a year later exhausted, feeling like having friends is a part-time job.

I finally broke out of my thoughts looking down at 10 more messages and a missed group facetime call.

I hesitated for 30 seconds but ended up going in the group call.

"Oh look who it is Mr.Newhouse" Brent said loudly causing me to immediately start forming a headache.

"It's an apartment and that's not my name" I said dryly

"Yeah, whatever you say" He replied. It's crazy that I felt like I was talking to my mom whenever I got on the phone with them. I always had to explain myself.

"So you didn't answer the question are you staying with someone or?..." Kayla said with attitude laced in her voice.

"Well hello to you too. Yes, I had a good day as well. Yes, I'm actually doing fine thanks for asking guys" I said with a fake happy tone.

"Just answer the question it's not that hard," Brent said chewing. He was always eating something.

"Yes, I have a roommate why does it matter?" I asked rubbing my temples.

"Because we just want to make sure you're safe like you never know what could happen. They can kill you in your sleep or something. You need to tell us stuff like this." Brent said finally done chewing.

"Yeah like why do we have to find out on Facebook? That's kinda weird" Kayla added.

"Wait what? I don't even have Facebook what are you talking about?" I asked confused.

"Your mom posted it" Brent answered.

"So let me get this right you're mad because I told my mother before I told you guys?" I said not being able to comprehend what was happening.

"Not necessarily but I think you could've told us after you told your mom or something," Brent said stuffing his mouth again.

"Speaking of I gotta go she's calling me" I lied hanging up the phone

It was no way this was actually happening. Like I have to be dreaming. The crazy part is I already know I'm gonna become back cool with them.

*bzz*

I looked down to see 2 new text messages.

Brent: We just want to make sure you're ok. Your safety is #1 to us we love you.

Kayla: Exactly.

With that, I softly put my phone down pushing it away from me. I stretched my body out laying on the rug looking at the ceiling aimlessly. I didn't know how I was going to get out of this loophole but I need to. I just got on an emotional rollercoaster within a 5-minute conversation. That's my problem though I allow people to have too much control over me and my emotions.

So much for new beginnings.

*Knock Knock*

I looked up broken out of my thoughts from hearing Terrence knock at my door.

"Yeah come in" I said softly still looking up at the ceiling,

"Heyyyyy" he said walking in with a big smile on his face. "Are you ok? you've just been in here looking up at the ceiling for half an hour or sum?"

"Yeah" I said not realizing I'd been laying here that long.

"Well I'm finna go out to the grocery store and get some food cause this empty freezer is not cute" He said.

"Did you just say freezer?" I asked finally sitting up to look at him.

"Yeah I need pizza rolls and chicken nuggets"

He's so childish. What grown man eat's frozen dinosaur nuggets?

"So do you want or need anything from the store before I go? Or is you coming?" He asked

"Nah I'll stay here but, if you can get me some Popeyes or something on the way back that would be nice" I said feeling better at the thought of food.

When it comes to food I'm not very picky at all. The only thing that I can't do is chocolate and alfredo. Those two things should be banned from ever existing.

"Aight got it, I'll be right back" he said about to walk out before he stopped himself "Oh yeah and btw I got some movers for tomorrow to help us cause I'm not finna be break my back carrying no furniture I have a man for that"

"You are so gay, yuck" I said picking my phone up.

"And you're gayer. BYE" he said slamming the door before even giving me a chance to respond.

I love that annoying bitch so much. Was it really that hard to be a good friend?