2 | Q U I N N

Friday night means family dinner night with our two families.

Usually, at least. Adult life can be hectic, and with my twelve-year-old sister keeping herself busy with friends and hobbies, Rory's brother starting his automotive training at our local community college, Rory's own shows and competitions, and my recent promotion to Construction Manager at my company, it's... well, it's a lot. We're rarely all available.

We've been having these get-togethers for as long as I can remember; I think Rory and I were literally in diapers when the tradition first began.

Our moms are both nurses at one of our local hospitals together, in Labor & Delivery of all places, when they found out they were both pregnant within months of each other. Already friends, going through pregnancy and early childcare together brought them even closer. Our dads get along great too, regularly sneaking away to gossip like schoolboys or taste Uncle Tom's newest culinary creation. And so began our long family history.

Today we're "lucky" to have all four members of both families in attendance. And lest we forget what a ruckus the eight of us can make, Rory and I are immediately bombarded with the reminder as I push open the Evans family's front door:

A high-pitched squeal erupts from the kitchen as my sister spots us. Before either of us can even take our shoes off she's barreling towards us, untamable curls bouncing, arms out to hug me—

Ahem. Not me, I amend. She heads straight into Rory's awaiting arms where they're now locked in a bearhug.

"Maddie!" Comes a despondent shout from the kitchen. "You nearly knocked the plate out of my hand! Where are you running to— Oh, Quinn it's you. And Rory, darling, how are you?" My mom's tone flips like a coin as she pops her matching blonde head out of the kitchen archway to find us.

Rory is distracted by Maddie's instant slew of comments and questions, so I answer instead, insisting we're both good. I manage to pry off Rory's jean jacket from her shoulders and hang both our coats on the wall hooks next to me.

"I wish you could've seen me today, I learned a new jump!" Maddie answers when she's asked how her dance classes have been going. With Rory as her role model, she of course took an interest in dance as well, so she's been taking classes at a studio a little closer to my parent's place.

"That's awesome!" Rory responds, matching Maddie's enthusiasm. "Maybe I'll have time to come watch your class this week and we can grab ice cream after."

I clear my throat in mock offense.

"With your brother, too." She adds, evergreen eyes rolling to the ceiling. "He can't go without his mint chocolate chip for more than two days."

"Kids! Come help with the food, we're about to sit down!" Rory's mom shouts.

Heavy steps thunder down the wooden staircase as the lanky, younger male version of Rory appears, a ferocious gleam in his eye at the mention of food, no doubt.

"Hey, Jerrod." I greet him with a fist bump, which he almost doesn't see until his tunnel vision is interrupted by my voice.

"Oh. Hey Q."

Despite him towering over her, Rory backhands his shoulder, and then with a flick of her wrist indicates herself standing there.

"And hello, favorite elder sister of mine."

"Mmhm," she huffs.

"Am I just a speck of dust?" Maddie complains with a fierce cross of her arms.

Jerrod pats her head reassuringly, "Ohmygod," he mutters in my understanding direction. "Hello, favorite younger sister of mine."