Prologue

Could they hear my breath shaking as they walked away?

I couldn't see their backs anymore as my group had walked away hours ago. It felt like hours. I threw away my watch so I didn't really know.

A foot print was left behind by Brian. No Cynthia? Someone's foot print left in the mud gave me something to look at that wasn't just dull nature. It was a bright and muggy day, but I couldn't tell if it was hot out or my fever starting to rise.

As soon as I thought that a very intense chill shook my body.

"Jesus," I cursed while wrapping my arms around myself. I curled in a ball against the willow tree. I stared at the footprint to remind myself of better times.

"Embry! Keep up!" Brian called a few yards away. I worked in an office before the whole world fell apart; I just didn't have the stamina. I tried to jog to get to the rest of my group but I didn't see the stump waiting to catch my ankle.

The bark shreaded my knee and my face slammed into packed dry dirt.

"OW!"

"Shit!" Brian laughed as he ran back to help me up. I heard a second pair of feet coming back for me and I looked up. Cynthia's dark hair swung forward as she looked down.

"You alright?" she asked while reaching her hand down as Brian did the same. I grabbed each one and they hoisted me up together.

The scab on my knee was almost completely healed now. A snapping twig nearby sent my heart rate thundering momentarily before I settled back into my relaxed death ball. Even if I'm going to die anyways I don't want to be aware of my senses when they start eating me.

Flashbacks of screaming and trying to find family or friends made me frown; I tried to focus on better memories. Then something happened to distract me from bad flashbacks because I was violently ill.

My whole body contorted and I could hear myself grunt as vomit shot out my mouth. I tasted iron and spotted the color of my vomit.

Red.

I haven't eaten anything red in days or weeks even. A pricking sensation in my eyes prompted me to rub them. Something warm wiped off from my face to my hand.

More blood.

I began to feel hot. Very hot. I removed my pants and shirt not caring to be embaressed. I'll be dead soon.

"Maybe that's why so many of them are naked," I muttered to myself.

"It's getting hot in here..." I giggled at my own stupid joke.

I began to hallucinate and how did I know I was hallucinating?

A woman appeared. She didn't walk up to me or come around the tree. I was staring at my footprint for comfort and then her dress suddenly blocked my sight.

I looked up and she was so pretty. I first noticed her face then I noticed that she had massive tits. She giggled and then disappeared.

Or was never there in the first place.

Then more hallucinations started. This one was scary and I had to try not to get up and run from it.

Many eyeballs and wings sprouted off a fleshy floating sphere. It had rings made of more flesh, morphing and passing over itself.

Their eyes seemed to be judging me and I held my breath waiting for it to go away.

I wish that lady would come back-

As soon as the thought came, so went the weird fleshy winged eyeball creature. I let out the breath I was holding and closed my eyes.

No more of that.

~ ▪︎ ~

I was dozing off and on. Hours were passing and my eyes occasionally leaked blood. It was beginning to cake and crust on my face and I couldn't bother to wipe it off anymore.

I vomited a few more times and then it seemed I was on empty.

"Is this why they're so hungry?" Seemed like a stupid reason. That couldn't be it. I didn't feel hungry at all, just tired and sore and very hot.

I kept my panties and bra on. I've seen them completely nude and it's just awful so I wanted to keep a little bit of diginity just for me.

It doesn't matter so it's just for me and my own purposes.

I heard another crack but followed by the exact giggle that hallucination had so I didn't get scared.

I closed my eyes and imagined scenarios of meeting the woman.

We could have been coworkers.

We could have been best friends from childhood.

We could have-

We could-

If you pass away peaceful enough it's hard to tell if you fell asleep or not.