9: rude

The next day, when it finally came time to begin the night hunt, Wei Kuo got a very bad feeling in his gut

The next day, when it finally came time to begin the night hunt, Wei Kuo got a very bad feeling in his gut. However, he shook it off and dismissed it as nerves, and went ahead with the others. It's not like there was anything he couldn't handle now that Juedui was back by his side.

With that attitude, the boy of no older than 11 managed to take down seventeen fierce corpses single handedly, while lending a helping hand to his comrades to take down four more. "You've gotten better I see," Zi Xieren commented as they rode their swords above the forest.

"How could I not when all I did most days was practice?" The boy chuckled, trying to be quiet as to not scare away any prey or notify them of their presence. Suddenly, a shudder ran through them both; it was as if the resentful energy had spiked tenfold.

A spike like that is dangerous.

The two exchanged a look before taking action, one going towards where the resentful energy was coming from and the other going to warn their group members of the danger. I'm glad he still trusts me to handle things on my own, Wei Kuo thought to himself as he arrived, jumping down from his sword and allowing it to fly back into the sheath.

The resentful energy was dark. Dark enough to obsure his vision a bit, but Wei Kuo just stretched his senses out. That had been one of the things he'd worked on during his time at Lotus Pier: his sixth sense, or spatial awareness even while not being able to see. There were four people around him, none of which he recognized, and two fierce corpses.

They were definitely fierce from how much resentful energy was resonating from them, but Wei Kuo wasn't worried. In fact, he was confident. It took him less than two seconds to move from one side of the fierce corpses to the other, slashing them to pieces in between. Juedui even pulsed, as if happy to have been put to good use against worthy prey.

With the source of resentment mostly gone, the blackened air soon dissipated enough to see clearly, which revealed the four cultivators. All of them wore Wen garb, two were coughing, and two looked less than thrilled at the interference. "Are you guys okay?" Was Wei Kuo's first question as he went over to the two that were practically coughing their lungs out. One of the two that hadn't been affected by the resentful energy growled.

"You! How dare you steal our prey!"

"Huh?" The boy paused, glancing at the person with a confused look on his face. "I thought you guys were in trouble because you weren't doing anything."

"Insolence!" The man thundered.

"Yeah sure, whatever," Wei Kuo made a face, tempted to roll his eyes, but disregarded the urge and went back to trying to help the two who had been the most affected by the resentful energy. However, before he could do anything more, a sword came out of nowhere and killed the two.

Wei Kuo had to dodge to make sure not to be killed as well. "Damn, rude," He huffed as he put a hand on his sword handle. "What's your deal? I saved your asses, and I have no need for fierce corpse chunks so you can have them if you're that desperate."

"You--!"

"Silence," The one who had yet to speak spoke, and his voice made the two shiver. It was authoritative, but at the same time, soft, smooth and modulated. The dude himself matched the voice with his looks, except for the fact that he was the one to kill his own clan members. "What is your name?"

"It's rude to ask for someone's name without giving yours first," Wei Kuo's eyes narrowed as his expression darkened to match his next words. "Besides, I have nothing to say to a common murderer."

"How dare you talk like that to--!"

"Blah blah blah," He moved his hand in a talking motion, mocking the other dude with a roll of his eyes. "I really don't need to be here, so I'm leaving," the boy grumbled, about to mount his sword, only for a sword to fly at him. Obviously, he dodged and landed a bit farther away with a frown. "Dude, someone could get hurt."

"That's the point," The good looking man glared at him. "Arrogant bastard."

"Wow, even ruder than I imagined," Wei Kuo huffed, dodging another attack that caused the two to get even more worked up and angry. "Geez, why are you so angry?" The boy asked, dodging them both as they came at him. Finally, he was forced to block a strike from the good looking one, and then had to knock the other one out because he was being a bit too wild.

"Alright, I'm done," He forced the sword off of his, then slammed his foot in the man's worst nightmare area for a kick and off he went. "Phew, what a weirdo," Wei Kuo heaved a sigh as he flew to reunite with the other mercenaries. "Well, then again, most of the Wens were pretty damn rude so it wasn't entirely unexpected, I guess. Eh, not my problem anymore."

Little did Wei Kuo know, it was definitely still his problem and would most certainly stay his problem for a long time to come. At the next discussion conference between cultivation clans, Jiang Fengmian was met with a confusion and almost terrifying situation. "Where is Wei Kuo?"

"...Who?" The clan leader felt it might be a good idea to feign ignorance, but was proven wrong a second later as the person in front of him narrowed his gaze angrily.

"Don't play dumb with me, Sect Leader Jiang, I know you recently adopted two brothers by the name of Wei Ying and Wei Zexian, the latter having the courtesy name Kuo. Now, tell me," Wen Ruohan glared down at him, as if daring him to try and deny it. "Where is Wei Kuo?"